View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #1243
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
There were mass shootings when you guys were kids. If you are my age there was the Luby's cafteria, the mcdonalds shooter, hell the term going postal was due to deranged postal workers shooting up the post office. Older would have the Texas tower etc... The difference really is wall to wall coverage and "fame" these losers get with cnn/fox showing their picture and publishing manifestos. Before a lot.of them just offed themselves now they take people with them.

Mass shooting have gone up since (let's say) the 1980's.

Mass shootings in the United States - Wikipedia

400 Bad Request

I don't know why its different now and don't think there is a single root cause but many (media coverage, increased bullying, increased use of medications, increased guns, fluoride in water etc.) but as a non-NRA, multiple gun owner, I believe there is more room for gun control for sure.

From what I remember, most on this board that are pro-gun control are not for total-or-near-total ban and I'm good with that. Perfectly reasonable to close loopholes, require registration of all gun transfers (e.g. even as a gift within family members), require real training (bi)annually, 6 month wait periods etc.

For those that are for total-or-near-total ban, I'll ask the question - why penalize the law abiding, presumably sound of mind citizens from owning weapons after we enact more rigorous controls? Why put the effort on restricting the 'good guys', put the effort on taking guns away from criminals and mentally unstable.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote