View Single Post
Old 06-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #110
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvarino View Post
Ok thank you, that's as i thought the veteran players combines were a product of the bar ratings at the beginning of each season.

Would that also mean they may give you an indication of the future ratings changes of a vet player over the course of the season, or is it all down to randomness and the combine correlation and i don't need to pay so much attention to them only, those of rookies for drafting and signing undrafted F/A's?

Short version, imo: pay attention during the draft, learn what good/bad combines mean, and use that as an important but not exclusive part of evaluating rookie players... then after that you should mostly ignore them

Slightly longer: after the rookie season they'll bump around, but the only thing that really seems to matter is sometimes a player gets a mid-career volatility change (good or bad) and that typically gets reaffirmed in the following year's combine results... a 5th year guy suddenly jumps from 40/40 to 55/55 and the next year he's faster, stronger, everything - by then you basically realized he was better, but the combines are a verification after the fact (would be kinda cool if it worked the other direction imo)

Much longer: understanding combines is complicated, either annoyingly so, or enjoyably so, and that might determine in part whether this is the game for you (not meant as a slight)... but in general, assume there's some set of numbers beneath everything that affect a "dice roll" in the game that determines the things we see... this particular wide receiver is coded to have, let's say, really really good speed... so the game rolls dice to generate a true rating for him in the most directly associated skill, "big play receiving," and rolls dice again in generating his 40 yard dash time of, say, 4.40. Now, after lots of research and testing, some FOFers have uncovered that not only superior speed receivers can potentially generate a 4.40... occasionally some guys who really don't have that great a core rating might do that, too. Some of those guys might only have a BPR rating of, say, 55. But what we are hoping for is that his underlying skill/speed was so high that it generated a 90 or 95 or 100. The game isn't transparent here... some guys are going to miss. But that is what makes it fun, to many of us. Most players have terrible drafts off the bat, and have to improve a lot. There's a lot here to help you, but there aren't any simple "cheat codes." Use combines, they help, they are part of the puzzle, but like I'm trying to illustrate above - they are imperfect, but design.

My tip/though - if you really want to improve at the game in the short run, set your single player settings to a very high combine correlation. That way, the connections between the combines (like 40 dash time) and the associated ratings (like big play receiving) will feel more apparent and predictable. Over time, you will likely want to lessen that value, as you'll probably prefer more of a challenge.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote