Thread: 2020 MLB thread
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2020, 10:06 PM   #203
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It's such a mess that MLB is making worse by shortening the draft.
There isn't going to be minor league baseball this year. Maybe you can have complex leagues or at least somewhere for AAAA players or top upper minors prospects who are on the 40 man bubble to play if MLB does it's Arizona plan? This is another knock on effect of a messed up situation, but why would MLB draft HS players with less scouting while knowing they'll basically sit out a whole summer of development?

I'm from the lacrosse side, not baseball, but it's part of why I'm pushing against the idea that we should continue this social distancing to the extent schools are closed indefinitely... there are 40 million kids between the ages of 5-22 that are probably losing a whole year of academic, social, and athletic development. The college stuff is going to be a mess to figure out, but at least the eligibility is there... I've coached a group of kids since they were in 4th grade, lost 2 straight state championships by a combined 3 goals & many have been working towards a potential title in Spring 2020 for a decade. They're going to go into the same problem (especially the D3 commits who aren't promised a roster spot) for the next 4 years where there are 25% more players competing for playing time in college, and they're also not going to be allowed to have their senior season, their senior prom, their senior year(spring) of HS, and they'll never get that back. Since schools end later (end of June) there's a chance Massachusetts will go back May 4 & have an abbreviated season + playoffs, but it's really not looking likely. (On the plus side New Hampshire's HS athletic association President did come out today and say there is no reason they couldn't still hold athletic events while students are learning from home as long as it was safe, so maybe that's an avenue.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote