View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #157
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Ben,

I've read a ton on what Jack Daniels has put out about his beliefs for training runners. I think he has some great stuff on it that has helped me a ton as well as many others. Alot of it is similar to what Icy listed, but here is another page that you can read about the different types of training from Wikipedia:

Jack Daniels (coach) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The difference is that Daniels plan does not necessarily do it based on Heart rate training, but instead bases your run speeds on your VDOT score.

For a more in depth break down of what Daniels believes, one of the books that was recommended to me by several of my marathon friends is:

Daniels' Running Formula, Second Edition: Jack Daniels: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

The basic science behind running based on VDOT, is that you take your most recent performance in a specific "race" where you went as hard as you can to determine what your VDOT score should be.

I have used this VDOT calculator myself:

Runbayou: VDOT Calculator

Once you have your VDOT score, it gives you what the recommended paces should be for your Easy runs, Tempo Runs, Interval Runs.

If you don't want to mess with VDOT scores, a similar calculator can be found at runners world:

Training Paces | Runner's World & Running Times

Once you have those measured paces, what Daniels believes is that is your optimal running speed for maximum benefit for those specific workouts.

You -can- run faster if you want, but the return won't be as great and you significantly increase your chance for injury. You -can- run slower, but your benefits won't be as optimal. It is recommended to run as close to those as you can.

The general rule of thumb as I have read is for beginner runners (which I include myself in that category), until you get over 25-30 miles per week routinely, your best benefit is by simply running ALL easy pace runs.

For me that means running maximum number of miles at about a 11:30 mile per minute pace. The idea is by running easy pace, you tire yourself out less so you can run more miles in a week. The biggest benefits are seen for beginner runners by simply being on their feet more and running more miles.

I do like to mix in at least one faster run a week though, and I usually alternate it with either a tempo run or an interval run one day a week personally. There are benefits to be seen by doing those runs as they train a different system in your body than the easy runs do. Just for beginners that is less beneficial than just running more.

What my week right now looks like generally is I try to do this:

Mondays: Cross training for one hour. I don't do any running this day, maybe walk for whatever purpose, but usually bike or if I have to elliptical but I hate the elliptical.

Tuesday: Main long run day: (Easy pace) Right now at about 9 miles per week. They say you don't want your longest run to be more than 34% of your total weekly mileage or you increase your risk of injury.

Wednesday: Easy recovery run for me. (Easy pace) generally 4ish miles

Thursday: Secondary long run day. (Easy pace) I'm generally at about 6-6.5 miles or so on this one.

Friday: Day off. No exercise or planned exercise

Saturday: Fast day. Every other week I alternate. One week a tempo run at tempo pace for x amount of time (I've been increasing it every 2 weeks by 5 minutes, currently at 40 minutes) The other weeks I do interval training at interval pace. 1/4 mile at interval pace and then 1/8 mile recovery or easy pace. I repeat that 10 times. (Started at 8 but increased it by 1 each time).

Sunday: recovery/easy run - generally 3.5 - 4.5 miles.

So pretty much almost everything I do is easy runs except one day a week.

Edit to add: Here are some decent beginner training plans for everything from beginning walking up to marathon training.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/

There are many other training plans out there that are more advanced, but these seem pretty solid at both explaining things and setting stuff up for first timers.

Last edited by Alan T : 05-11-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote