View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #178
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Just some useful things that I learned on the way... when starting out, the best two ways to improve your speed and consistency are: 1) Losing Weight and 2) Running more per week.

In almost every advanced running training that I have read, it recommends that when starting out, just focus on slowly increasing your miles per week ran by roughly 2 or so per week until you get it above 20 miles per week. By doing just that, you'll get the biggest boost in your speed and fitness that you'll ever get in running. (I personally went from 43-45 minute 5ks to 28 minute 5ks by doing that).

The saying that I see often is: "To run faster, you have to run slower and more often"... ---- don't worry about the speed right now, just find an easy pace that you can run at without losing your breath (regardless of how slow it is) and just hit the miles per week that you are aiming for. As your fitness improves, that "conversational pace" will get faster on its own.

Oh yeah, I know not to worry about speed. Today was just to prove to myself that I can do 5 miles, I woke up with that notion in my mind, and I wanted to do it. I doubt I will see myself doing 5 miles anytime soon, especially with my desire to just work on just getting the time in. It will be very interesting to see how I squeeze any of this in when I find a new job and the baby is born, but for now I just do what I can.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote