View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #193
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
So we're about to enter the "hot and humid every day" stage of the year, which typically will last until November-ish. It has been surprisingly cool this spring up until now, so I guess I haven't had a chance to acclimate. Today's upper-80s weather slowed me down and shortened the run. Any tips for dealing with the heat besides "stay hydrated?" (I'd already had 3/4 gallon of water today before I went out for the run.) Also, I've never been able to stay on a treadmill for more than 30ish minutes without getting bored to tears. I suspect that because of the heat combined with needing to help with the kids and work demands, there will be days in the next 6ish months where getting on the treadmill at lunchtime is the only viable option. Have any of y'all found ways to relieve the boredom when doing treadmill runs?

My quick advice is to change the time of your run (if you can do that) - ie, I really like running at 7/8 PM or so, but I'm a single dude next to a park who lives in the Bay Area. When its 50 degrees in the "winter", I try and run at 6 or so when there is a little more light available, even if sometimes feels colder. I don't know if you have that option of essentially running at dusk, but it can help.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote