View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #20
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I know this will be buried in the archive section unless I get the motivation to ask somebody to move it to the active forum.

So 9 years, 363 days after rupturing my left patella tendon, I'm going to the surgeon at 1 p.m. today to learn if I ruptured my right patella tendon. Got home late last night and went to retrieve the recycle bin. I apparently hit a patch of black ice from the melting the last 24 hours and went down. Once again, the knee was bent in a way it should not bend and I had to move it back into place.

In most respects it feels identical to the rupture of 2003, so I'm bracing for the diagnosis. I'm actually able to walk on it a bit easier than last time, so I'm cautiously optimistic that maybe it isn't the patella or it's not as severe.

Two hard things about this. One is that my mom had her left foot amputated in September and has not yet been fitted with a prosthetic. I'm an only child and I've been responsible for taking care of her, getting her to dialysis three times a week and everything else. That's not going to happen for a while.

Second is that after my job was eliminated in 2012, I've been an independent contractor. Cobra was $800 a month and just not in the budget. I signed up for Obamacare in early November and have my insurance cards, but coverage doesn't kick in until Jan. 1.

Bummed beyond belief. Will probably have to drain a good chunk of the 401k to pay for this. Ugh.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote