View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #404
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I thought I read in here that all-downhill segments didn't count on Strava for PRs. I'm pretty sure that the one-mile PR today was heavily downhill-aided. There was one area that was downhill for dang near a mile.

Ben, Here is Strava's support information on the subject:

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/2...ts-for-Running

Quote:
Eligibility Requirements

Strava will only reward a "best effort" if the section is not downhill. Total elevation loss over the distance must be less than .25%. For example, this means that a downhill mile will not count as one of your best efforts for that distance. If your fastest mile is uphill, it will count.
Strava requires good quality GPS location information throughout the best effort. If there are missing points, errant points or other false accelerations then that part of the activity will not be eligible to be recognized as a best effort.

In your run, you had your second mile split at 7:54, but Strava recorded your PR for a mile at 7:55, so it wasn't considering that entire mile, but instead likely took enough of the uphill climb before that mile or perhaps enough after to find the fastest time that was not more than a .25% elevation loss I suppose.

For instance from .5 mile to 1.5 mile it was pretty even distance and that was close to a neutral elevation, which you ran a little over 8 minutes from eyeballing it. So I am guessing somewhere in there Strava found enough of your run to fit under its elevation requirements.

I had a similar run on May 4th where I had a mile that i ran right at 8:01, but lost close to 200 ft in elevation and strava didn't find any piece of that that was flat enough for me to get credit for it. So I would say don't just discount it, you ran it.. you did good there

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote