View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #456
Radii
Head Coach

-- Kevin Lynch and Constantino are both named to the League 1 team of the week.

-- Matthew Paterson, little used backup ST that I signed last season before my flurry of huge loans had been annoyed at his lack of soccer for a long time. I transfer listed him last year at his request and he's only played in 3 matches so far this year, and not well. But he's had a change of heart and requests that I remove him from the transfer list. I don't think he'll stick at this level but hey he's a legit backup for me right now, so if he's willing to stay I'm all for it.

Injury Update - Big One

goalkeeper Kevin Lynch has sustained a fractured arm after falling awkwardly during a training session.

It is likely that Lynch will be out for around 4 weeks while he is treated.

backup Jason James will get a lot of action, but he's travelling for some international duty off and on as well. U18 keeper Ben Mason is brought up to the senior squad and will play whenever James is unavailable.

November 19th, 2016

Barnsley(8-2-6, 6th) @ Woking (8-6-2, 2nd)

Barnsley are super slim 6:4 favorites today, we're 13:8. This is our first ever meeting. Barnsley spent 7 of the last 10 years in the Championship, falling back into League 1 after the 13/14 season. After two mid table finishes they're back in playoff contention.

GK: James
D: Nikolaou/Taylor/Marc/Ogogo
MC: Upson/Paulo
AM: Harsanyi/N'Guessan
FC: Paterson/constantino

Barnsley are led by John Sutton with 10 goals so far this year. Jason James gets the start today at GK, Harsanyi's at AML and Paterson gets a rare start at striker. We'll attack, a clear default at home and a likely mindset every match until Lynch is back no matter what.

6': Barnsley with a run down the left side, a cross comes in, Marc misses a header and it allows for a very good look from their man Wildig, he heads it towards the far post, James has no chance and its in. Marc takes the blame there. 0-1

7': Paterson has it after kickoff, he goes straight forward, evading one defender, then putting a through ball into the right side of the area, N'Guessan runs onto it and blasts a shot up high and into the top right corner for his first goal of the year! 1-1

21': No highlights for a long time, N'Guessan with a long run down the right, a cross into the area, but a good ways out, 15 yards or so, Harsanyi gets his head to it but doesn't quite generate enough power to score from there on a header, keeper saves easily.

28': They win a ball in defense but the clearance is poor, Upson heads the clearance back in for Paterson, he kinda looks offsides but its not called, maybe a wide defender kept him onside? He slides a pass over to constantino who buries a very easy shot and we take the lead! 2-1

34': Midfielder morris with a yellow going for a cross in the area and bringing down Taylor.

38': Constantino receives a ball 25 yards out, he plays a pretty ball forward into the area, the defense is there but he puts it to a spot where Paterson clearly has the best angle on it... Paterson runs onto it, tries to beat the keeper near post, but fires it just wide and into the side netting.

HALF: We're looking good today, possession is even, but we've generated 7 shots and 5 have been put on target, 2 clear cut chances, we missed one. Barnsley only have 2 shots, 1 on target for the goal, our young James hasn't really been bothered.

47': They play a ball to their start striker Sutton in the area, Taylor closes down quickly... if Sutton's first touch was better he would have had a very good shot available, but it was poor and Taylor clears it to the side for a throwin, we eventually clear it out.

51': Its the first clear cut chance for Barnsley and I think it would have been Marc's fault again, he misses a tackle at the edge of the penalty box, his man goes around him and fires a shot, but its wide.

52': Ogogo goes for a tackle near midfield and he may have turned an ankle, he comes up injured... this allows a break down the left side, there's a cross into the 6 yard box, James goes for the cross but can't get there, Nikolaou is there but he comes in too late to challenge and its a wide open net for their man Sutton who heads it home. 2-2

56': Alcock in for the injured Ogogo.

58': Barnsley on the attack, there's a pass from 30 yards out into the area, midfielder morris runs onto it, James rushes out after a bad first touch, James goes down to the ground... but doesn't cover the ball, Morris is able to play it around James and pass it into the open net... 2-3

60': Paterson has it 25 yards out, he runs into the area and is surrounded by 3 defenders, he's able to make a pass though, he finds constantino open in the area with no one around him and that almost always means easy goal, no exceptions here. Paterson has 3 assists today! 3-3

69': I'm sure having a new, young keeper guiding the defense is part of the problem, but Nikolaou and Marc are having awful games today, I use my last two subs to bring in Wiggins and Chester.

81': They get a man in the penalty area, he's at a tough angle out right, he shoots on James and James makes his first stop of an on target shot all day, parrying it back for a corner, which we clear safely.

86': We have a thorwin in their end, Paterson plays a through ball to N'Guessan who has a pretty solid look coming in from the right, but its saved.

87': Free kick in midfield, the ball is quickly played up to Paterson, he turns and plays it into the area immediately, Constantino is first to break onto it, he shoots it with his first touch, and its a goal! 4-3

90': Ugh really? They get a through ball to a midfielder cutting in, he fires a shot that James stops but can't hold, the rebound falls to Sutton and he puts it into the open net. 4-4

Woking 4 : 4 Barnsley

Most every time someone scored to take a lead there was a near immediate answer from the other team. We got to 4 goals first but allowed them to tie it up in the closing moments.

We take 13 shots today, putting 8 on target, generating 5 clear cut chances and scoring 4 goals. They shoot 11 times, putting 6 on target and generating 4 clear cut chances. Neither keeper was really up to the task of making any great saves there. Our defenders took tons of blame for goals allowed today with missed headers and interceptions, we put our young keeper in some really impossible spots.

Man of the Match: Constantino (9.5)
Goals: Constantino 3, N'Guessan (7.8)
Assists: Paterson 3 (9.0)
Notables: Paulo (7.1), Upson (7.1)

Ogogo 5.4, Nikolaou 5.9, Marc 5.8. Vince Taylor gave us a 6.4 and James a 6.5 today, we just made way too many big errors in defense. Perhaps some experience with James directing the defense will help this to improve.

Last edited by Radii : 07-19-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote