View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #407
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Gold Team Update

So the US Swimming investigation into Coach Neil is continuing but he sent the following letter to all the team parents...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Chattahoochee Gold parents,

I write you today not as a coach or a representative of Chattahoochee Gold, but as someone you or your child cares about, and, perhaps, as a friend.

The last 36 hours have been trying for me. They’ve been emotional and challenging and my heart has mourned. I have greatly appreciated the outpouring of concern and supportive texts and calls that I’ve received; it’s nice to know how supportive a network I have in times of crisis. But, to be honest, I don’t deserve it.

I’ve always tried to hold my swimmers—your children—to the highest standards. My goal was to develop great swimmers who also had the skills to survive and thrive in the real world: attention to detail, work ethic, and knowing the difference between right and wrong… because that’s the difference between success and failure. Unfortunately, I did no uphold those values within my own personal life, and, in making that mistake, have caused a calamity within Chattahoochee Gold and your own family’s lives.

My error in judgment occurred several years ago, and came during a rough patch in my life. I began a relationship with a swimmer who was a Senior in High School. No defense of my actions would be tenable, but the offense wasn’t planned or fiendishly nefarious. However, it was certainly inappropriate and not permissible by USA Swimming guidelines. My personal shame and embarrassment about the issue weighs heavy in my heart, and the guilt has corroded me. But the shame, embarrassment and guilt pale in comparison to the distress I’ve caused for Chattahoochee Gold and the Cumming Site.

I’m not sure how USA Swimming will rule on the matter, but I will accept their punishment. Any vitriol or hate you have regarding the situation should not be aimed at them, at Chattahoochee Gold, or Pat Murphy; it should be aimed at myself. However, I do ask that if you had some modicum of love and respect for me, you will encourage your athletes to uphold the spirit of the program I was striving to create, but unable to live up to personally. Our staff, our families and our swimmers are stronger than this; they can move forward without me, but only if we have the support of the parents.

You have my humblest, most sincere regrets,

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The outcome of the investigation will be irrelevant, as Coach Neil has resigned from the team, in order to allow Chattahoochee Gold to move on and locate another coach. In addition, he has decided to give up coaching and will pursue other opportunities...

Last edited by Breeze : 04-14-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote