View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #11
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

October 2013

We remain unbeaten in the league, with a penchant for drawing games. I'd prefer to turn some of those draws into victories, but I won't complain about being fifth in the league.

We thought we'd gotten a late match-winner from Jason Burt away to Wivenhoe. It was a pretty goal, too; Nick Jennings smashed a free kick off the bar and Burt hit a left-footed half volley past the 'keeper. Unfortunately, Andy Holloway was whistled for a (questionable) penalty in stoppage time, and they got the equalizer from the spot.

I had to put a lot of backups into the XI for the Vase tie three days later. We never looked like winning, but the lads played hard to the final whistle. No shame there.

Hadleigh eat teams who play 4-4-2 against them for lunch, so I switched to a 4-1-2-2-1. Richard Savva, playing on the left wing today, got the match's only goal...but afterwards, our physio told me Savva had fractured some ribs late in the match and would possibly be out until Christmas.

I'd prefer not to use Ricky Lloyd as a striker, so unless I wanted to play with a single striker most of the time, I needed to look for a forward to fill in for Richard until he mends.

Next, we had Thetford Town at home. The Brecklanders are a good side, and both teams threatened to score in the first half. Michael Beesley turned a dangerous shot round his far post to keep Thetford off the scoreboard.

We took the lead when a Thetford defender tripped Peter Murrell inside the area, and Jennings converted the penalty. I thought we had another goal soon after, but Lloyd hit the post with the 'keeper well beaten.

We should have taken three points from Clacton. They sat back in their own end the entire match, and scored against the run of play as the first half was drawing to a close. The newest Tangerine, Adrian Bowen, finally pulled us level on 89 minutes, when he let Jennings' throw-in drop and hammered it in from 23 yards away.

Transfers

We brought veteran forward Adrian Bowen in on a three-month loan from Enfield Town, and he arrived in time for the Clacton match. Adrian is 35, and he has lost more than a few yards of pace, but he's still in excellent condition. He puts in a shift every time he takes the pitch and makes his teammates better.

We're paying £15/week of Adrian's salary, and if his first match in a Diss Town kit was any indication, we're getting our money's worth.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote