View Single Post
Old 12-23-2007, 11:04 PM   #4
korme
Go Reds

Unlike any other dynasty, the drafting interviews will be deathly important. I can't just click the top 5-10 from each position like I usually would. I need to analyze only players I feel I could seriously select here - after all, I get 60 interviews and need to sign an initial 60 players. This is very important.

Draft Goals / Basic Team Identity
Without having even sniffed the draft class yet, here is my initial idea of how to build a successful team.

We will probably be offensively one dimensional, and I hope to land a stud QB, a good line, and all that I need out of my running backs are good receiving abilities and elusiveness. I can get the most out of a pretty terrible back as long as I've got good blocking and he's got good elusiveness.

On defense, I would prefer to have good defensive backs, with high amounts of turnovers.

I'm going to conduct my draft interviews, then make the trades I need to get rid of my future picks, for current ones.

I don't know if QS purposely chose this draft for a reason or not, but there is no STUD QB at first glance. Interesting indeed.

PLAYERS INTERVIEWED
QUARTERBACKS
Roy Harrison - 5'11 207, GRADE: 5.4 He is the third listed QB, great bars everywhere except for Sense Rush, which concerns me greatly. However, he has good combine numbers, and he's the first guy interviewed.
Impression: Very Overrated
Malcolm Sweeney - 6-2 222, 5.4 He's very good in many areas, lacking in three: Third Downs, Sense Rush, 2 Minute O. His volatility is 99.
Kim McGregor - 6-1 207, 5.3 After two VOs, I'm not thrilled so far. McGregor has a short pass style, but struggles with screens (along with sense rush), and that is not ideal for me at all. However, I like everything else about him.
Carl Ellison - 6-4 244, 4.9 Ellison is the last QB that intrigues me. It's looking more and more like I'm not going to get my desired QB. Ellison is great at short passed, but his style is Long Passing. shurg. Very average combine numbers.

(Ok, 0 for 4! Maybe the other positions will be better, but what a terrible start, especially at the most critical position!)

RUNNINGBACKS
Bryan McMillian - 6-0 228, 6.0 Can run and catch, the top rated back. Weakness is third down running, and route running. Very good combine numbers
Tyrus Torres - 5-11 218, 5.8 Third best back listed. Low volatility, high ratings in elusiveness and speed to outside, which I prefer.
Impression: Hard to Read
Perry Esquivel - 5-11 217 5.0 I go down the list a bit until I find Perry Esquivel. He's a pretty average runner, but looks to have phenomenal receiving abilities. I'll keep my eye on this one.
Impression: Very Underrated
Derek Lawless - 6-3 229, 4.8 Good running bars in everything except for power inside, which is fine, but not a good receiving back.
Wayne Gillespie - 5-10 208, 4.7 I just can't help myself, I find another back similar to Esquivel. Great receiving bars, average running bars. The idea here is I could potentially get a gem of a receiver in late rounds instead of wasting a top pick on a wideout. With only one draft to use though, it's certainly a gamble.

FULLBACKS
None. I plan to sign an UDFA or use a very late pick here. The only thing I will look for out of my fullback is to be a great blocker, nothing else matters.

TIGHTENDS
Same as the fullback. I'll acquire a TE blind, looking only for blocking sets. There is one good TE that I like a lot, Chevrier, but I am not going to waste a top pick to acquire him - which would be necessary.

WIDE RECEIVERS
Harris Powell - 6-2 205, 6.3 Harris Powell is code for Jerry Rice, I do believe. Great combines, too, runs a 4.27. But what do you know, my scout's
Zach Ciscone - 5-11 191, 5.6 Good combine numbers, third best receiver listed. Pretty average bars, except what appears to be maxed out BPA.
Impression: Underrated
Jerry Reeves - 5-11 183, 5.5 Again, good combine numbers, similar bars to Ciscone as well, best at BPA, worse - but more well-rounded - at everything else.

CENTERS
Harvey Halama - 6-5 298, 4.9 His combine numbers stuck out so I hop down to him (No. 4) and ignore some very mediocre looking bars.
Rod McKenzie - 6-2 265, 5.4 After the above failure, I go back more towards the top of the list (2) and interview McKenzie, whose bars look better and has a pretty good combine score.

After these two debacles, I remember from past FOF play that UDFA centers are usually high in abundance before Training Camp, and will test my luck that one is available. No more scouting these guys.

GUARDS
Marcus Hauser - 6-4 311, 5.7 Good combine numbers, highly rated in Run Blocking.
Preston Blake - 6-3 292 5.7 Also a good combine, plus he's pretty even rated across the board, something I tend to prefer out of my offensive line.
Ellis Murphy - 6-3 311 4.6 I skip way down the list now, getting my mind right that I need to stop only concentrating at the top of the draft. He scored a 45 on his Sole. test, with good bars.

TACKLES
Bryan Clemons - 6-9 333, 7.0 Third highest rated player in the draft. It'd be an absolute insult if I didn't interview the behemoth. His paltry Sole test of 11 makes me want to cry for him, however.
Darryl Dotson - 6-5 317, 5.4 He's got pretty good bars, plus nothing bad along the combine lines, so he's looking like a good canidate.
Lance Greene - 6-5 315, 4.8 Also dumb as a box of rocks, but he scored very well on his strength test (33), and appears to be an excellent pass blocker, which I plan to make more of a priority than run blocking.
Ken Darden - 6-4 285, 4.4 I liked his strength here also (34).
Impression: As Scouted

PUNTERS

KICKERS
Joel Bass, 5.5
Donnie Gray, 5.4
Impression: Overrated
Rickey Franz, 5.4
Scottie Buff, 5.2

DEFENSIVE ENDS
Kelly Dole - 6-4 274, 5.3 Average combine numbers, nothing to write home about, but has very good bars in everything except for Punishing Hitter (who cares).
William Caldwell - 6-8 274, 5.3 Just a giant. Four "great" combine scores, along with excellent bars in Run D, and both Pass Rush categories.
Larry Hatcher - 6-3 248, 4.9 Not a combine baby. Wasted one here, I suppose. Went with my gut, my gut sucks so far.
Myron Riti - 6-3 267, 4.8 I like his combine, even though he seems to have only two real strengths.
Vincent Maryland - 6-5 277, 4.7 Liked his bars.
Jimmy Sulfsted - 6-0 252, 4.1 I like his combine for a low ratings guy, maybe a late round gem.

At this point, I think a blind monkey could pick better guys to scout than I could. Moving on...

DEFENSIVE TACKLES
Horace Hernandez - 6-4 306, 5.3 I like his combine, and he's maxed out in three categories.
Impression: VO
Jimmie Hoffman - 6-2 283, 4.7 Pretty good run stopper, decent combine.
Lee Taylor - 6-2 287, 4.6 Also a good run stopper, plus has good PR T.

INSIDE LINEBACKERS
Darren Kieta - 6-1 248, 6.1 He looks beautiful. Good combine, great bars.
Shane Kolsrud - 5-10 238, 5.7 Pretty cool name this guy has, not to mention a great combine and the #2 listed ILB.
Toby Houston - 5-11 224, 4.2 Good combine, VG in PRS and PD.
Impression: HtR

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS
Kelvin Bushon - 6-0 233, 7.4 Highest rated player in the draft, gotta scout the guy. Runs a 4.44!
Norbert Lyons - 6-1 236, 6.5 Good combine, good bars, #2 OLB in the pre-draft.
Leland Hamill - 6-1 238, 6.1 Another highly touted OLB, similar to Lyons, but way more stupid (15 Sol Score).
Cornell Logan - 6-0 230, 6.0 Many things I like about Cornell, including his Dash/Sole/Agil.
Lincoln Murray - 6-4 256, 5.4 Pretty good in all areas except Zone D, and I like his combine. I already clicked Impression, and I'm glad how this turned out, because there is a stud QB in the GEFL with the same name and that would have just drove me crazy.
Gilbert Malchow - 6-3 258, 4.1 I drop down the list and find a good combine guy in Gil, who my scout does not enjoy.

CORNERBACKS
Bernie Delgado - 5-11 189, 6.7 One of the highest rated players in the draft, and boy do I love me some highly ranked cornerbacks. At first, my mouth waters with delight of the possibility of a shut-down corner terrorizing QBs for 10 years.
Bo Granados - 6-1 203, 6.2 Bo is also a very well rated CB. Great combine. Crappy in BnR however.
Todd Benton - 5-11 189, 5.5 What can I say, I love his bars. He looks great in everything except MtM, which on second thought bothers me quite a bit.
Lionel Erickson - 5-11 191, 5.5 Lionel is pretty well rated with a maxed out Interception bar, I must scout this man!

SAFETIES
Kendall Anderson - 6-3 221, 7.2 Maxed bars in four categories, 3 superior combine numbers. Looks decent!
Lance Raymond - 6-0 205, 5.9 Second best safety.
Teddy Lindsay - 6-2 213, 5.8 Third best safety, can't find much wrong with him.
Juan Brammer - 6-0 213, 4.9 Down the list a bit, good bars and combine, let's try him out.
Ok, I've got 9 interviews left, the rest I'll go around all the positions and fill out, no comments, no height or weight, just Pos Name Grade & impression.
QB Kurt Mahoney, 4.0
G Vinny Malone, 5.2
G Pete Coleman, 5.2
ILB Jorge Heuring, 5.1Impression: VO
CB Claude Purslow, 5.1
CB Ray Connell, 5.0
CB Dexter Emerling, 4.7
CB Byron Choisser, 4.7
CB Alfred Kelley, 4.6

Phew! That was a time-consumer. Initial thoughts are that this is not good. Second thoughts are that I really like the top Tackle and top Safety, and very positive on the top LBs and top Corner, and everything else feels like a crapshoot.

On to wheeling and dealing my picks.

Last edited by korme : 12-24-2007 at 12:41 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote