View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #106
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/05/...ly-voting.html

N.C.'s GOP controlled state legislature trying to shorten early voting.

This is a short-term politically motivated move.* The only reason President Obama won this state, IMO, is because of a vastly superior ground-game/organizing effort tied heavily to early voting. The GOT(early)V movement among the African-American community here was amazing and clearly the centerpiece of the President's NC strategy.

Personally, I do not like this move because it has been nice the last few elections to have a couple of weeks to early vote and to go somewhere with short/non-existent lines. Basically, voting will become less convenient just to make it more likely that one side wins. Which is a bit of a shame.

One thing that the superclose 2000 and 2004 elections taught both parties is that you cannot afford to leave any stone unturned. I think that you will see more under the radar stories like this coming out of many battleground states over the next couple years. And, of course, the inevitable flood of voter-fraud/voter-suppression lawsuits.

*I realize that politics isn't beanbag and that both parties pull this kind of stuff all of the time. My point is noting its impact on the race, not saying that it is evidence of the GOP being more evil than Democrats.

It's also disgusting and fucking sleezy (when either side does it). Frankly I would be in favor of (again - when either side tries something like this), the ACLU getting involved and telling the states to fucking shove it.

We don't really have a lot of impact on the shit that goes on at the macro-level in this country, so fucking around with a person's one tangible opportunity to impact things (however small that impact is) ought to be fucking criminal.

yes - this subject touches a nerve
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote