View Single Post
Old 01-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #30
digamma
Torchbearer

Yale ended up winning by 9. They teased me a little, getting up by 13 at one point in the last two minutes, but Brown drilled a three immediately.

Cornell hung tough with Columbia the whole way and actually had the ball with 6 seconds left down 2. They looked pretty lackadaisical and Columbia could them with :02 left to prevent a three point attempt. After some free throw trading Columbia won by 4, 74-70.

So we split on the day, and lose the vig. Not horrible. 1-3 on the young season.

Impressions from today:

-Yes Makai Mason is good. He controlled the game and the ball was in his hands during any key possession.

-That said, Yale seemed beatable by Ivy squads. Sears was impressive at times, but disappeared for stretches and then got into foul trouble.

-Brown's air raid shoot the three offense was as expected. They fired 25 three point attempts. Overall, the game was kinda ugly though. 53 free throws between the two teams.

-I wouldn't be surprised if Yale blows them out next week in Providence, but as I said last week, if these initial contender/non-contender games are this competitive, it is going to be a fun league season.

-Columbia is sort of what we expected. At times, they looked so smooth on offense. Lo had an off night, shooting only 3-13. But Columbia had five in double figures.

-Cornell beat Brown and took 27 three pointers. They looked very erratic, yet they stayed in the game.

Elsewhere, Harvard beat Howard 69-61, in a game where Tommy Amaker benched all starters as punishment for poor play in the win over Ryerson on Tuesday. Dartmouth beat Pine Manor (which may be a women's teacher's college by more than 60.

Next week, we have three conference games, all rematches, Harvard at Dartmouth, Yale at Brown and Columbia at Cornell.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote