View Single Post
Old 03-17-2005, 08:24 PM   #584
Dreslough
SportsMogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
One problem, was that you can offer both a player option and a team option in the same contract.. that doesn't make sense.

I had the same reaction when I designed this part. I found some contracts with both player options and team options and I had to think about who "gets to go first" when deciding whether to exercise an option. As the game is "team-centric", we let you decide whether you want to exercise an option before the player decides if he wants to exercise his. I actually think the balance works quite well. You can shave years off a contract offer and replace them with a team option if you want the ability to lock a guy down if he stays good -- but obviously the player won't look on it as favorably as a full-length normal contract.

(There is a bug in 8.00 where you can land a player pretty easily by offering a big player option, but we're putting up 8.01 tonight to fix this).

As for the draft, if you have #1 Scouting and the board has a 97 and he's the only guy above 90, then you're probably best off taking him. But otherwise there's a lot more complexity than that. For starters, if you're trying to win this year, you'd probably rather have a 22-year-old 80/90 (Overall/Peak) than an 18-year-old 60/95.

If you find a 70/80 with monster college stats, he's probably going to be a better player than a 75/85 with weaker stats.

Also, the steepness of the curve in high school and college is a great indicator of growth potential. Someone who hit .280 his Freshman year and .380 his Senior year will develop faster in the minors than someone who only jumped from .320 to .350 over the same span.

The other part of this of course is learning what's valuable in building a team. Your scouts may love a player's talent, and he might have a '90' Power, but if he can't get a walk to save his life then I'm sure Billy Beane wouldn't draft him.

Clay

Last edited by Dreslough : 03-17-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Dreslough is offline   Reply With Quote