View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #76
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I also can only get a peace concession that I’ve declared as my aim. I can’t beat up Mexico so badly that not only do I get land, but I force them into other concessions either, such as cutting their military or joining my Sphere of Influence, or what have you. It made wars simpler, and yet took away interesting things.

You can add war goals during the war if things are going well for you. So you'd start the war with just 1 war goal (take a region), but if you beat the crap out of them, you can keep adding war goals (but without CBs, it would add more Infamy).

Quote:
The worst example are the major wars. There is no way that this game can simulate the Spanish-American war in the 18902, for example. They took a ton of provinces (Cuba, Philippines, Puerto Rico) in a large number of regions, and in this game, with the mechanics in place, that would put them over the infamy limit by a lot, and then everybody would ostracize them and start DOW’ing them. How does this game account for that?

I think taking colonial regions doesn't add much infamy at all, so to war with Spain and take Cuba, the Philippines, etc. wouldn't add much. Plus, when I played, if I was a Great Power, I would get a lot of "Place in the Sun" CBs randomly against other nations which let me go to war for colonial provinces. I think in Vanilla, I played a lot as Japan, Prussia and the Netherlands. I got "Place in the Sun" CBs with all 3 a lot.

Quote:
I have never played a game that had a money mechanic, and where money didn’t matter. After I discovered that advance that increased my fruit and coffee production by 50%, I have never looked back. I kept my tariffs at 25%, and I would keep my people relatively tax free and spent the maximum amount on goods and services for my people (like military, administration, and such). When a factory costs roughly 2k to build and army units 1.2-1.8k, then you can wonder at the fact that I ended the game t more than 7 million pounds.

What were your taxes like? Social reforms? This might be why you were having so many rebellions. (Were your POPs meeting their life needs?) Taxes too high and no social reforms tend to piss the fuck out of people.

Jacobins might still be a problem in Vanilla, though. They were in 1.0 and I don't know if they were fixed by 1.2. I've been playing with a MOD and haven't had a problem with them yet.

Quote:
The plurality mechanic did absolutely nothing that I am aware of all game long. I just looked it up, and supposedly in a democracy, it’s supposed to decrease the militancy of your pops, but if so, it must have been broken, because mine was quite high by the end, and I was getting a bajillion rebellions.

Plurality tells you have much your population, as a whole, wants social reforms. It will drop militancy in democracies because the POPs can vote the way they want, but if they aren't getting the social reforms they demand, they will still get pissed off. If your militancy was still high, the "bonus" you got from a high plurality wasn't enough to counter all the things that upset your population.

Quote:
Oh, I found the highest speed setting to be too slow. I regularly wanted to speed it up a bit there.

The game does slow down considerably in the later years. I hope they eventually find a fix for that.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote