View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 08:12 PM   #9
Izulde
Head Coach

Round 1 - Season 3
The second Village Fair of the year takes place, netting the Yorks a decent amount of money and reputation thanks to their long-term planning way back in the first season.

Charles Fairchild is eager to visit the estate, and the family wastes no time in having him out on the green, engaging a delightful game of bowling and conversation with the lovely Marianne Waters. Young Fairchild's attentions and flirtations with Miss Waters has Derbyshire buzzing for the next few weeks.

Game Mechanics Notes
Huge reputation power play here - 3 Reputation for Charles and because he's a Prestige Guest (2 fleur-di-lys), the Admirer Bonus on Marianne Waters kicks in, for a grand total of 5 Reputation points - or a whole entire Reputation level. That's why I try to keep the family daughter in hand in the mid-late game - so I can get that Admirer Bonus.

Yep, it's another reuse of a flipped tile, but we need the money. That's 500 pounds. The Gabled Conservatory is in the Market, but still too expensive.

Round 2 - Season 3
Fresh off their smashing success in pairing Charles Fairchild and Marianne Waters, starting rumors of a potential engagement, the Yorks are able to receive their first genuinely important guest.

Regina Washburn, daughter of the Viscount Hampton, comes to visit, with the highlight being the opportunity to paint a portrait of Lager, the Yorks' newest steed who replaced the scandal-ridden (and ridden) Bricklebutter. Simultaneously, the dour baronet, Sir Alan Fulford brings his gloomy self because, as he remarked one dinner, "Horses are far better than people." The chance to make a new equine friend - though not in the way Miss Norris did - simply could not be passed by.

Game Mechanics
I'm not reporting the AI eating, but it's happening. Just know that so far the Gabled Conservatory is still in play. But a problem arises - the duplicate Conservatory is now on the Market. Under the new rules, the duplicate is stacked on the original. This is a very dangerous situation in Solo Play - if the AI eats that space, I lose both Conservatories. No hope of a return like with the Flower Room. That would devastate my Objectives hopes.

Round 3 - Season 3
Big round, because this is the Builders' Holiday.

Why is that important? Because under normal rules, you can only buy one Improvement Tile per round. On the Builder's Holiday, you can buy as many as you have funds for.

Currently, we have 700 pounds. Our draw last turn, off the see 3, keep 2 of Regina and the Baronet's coming to look at the new horse, presented me the opportunity of an American heiress, who I kept because of the huge amount of money.

We're also at 4.1 Reputation, and based on the cards in hand, we can make a play that will net us major money and allow us to take a Reputation hit, because that doesn't resolve until after the activity. Curiously enough, we'll have two negative hits this round.

I'll skip the story mode for now and just present the snapshot:

Huge event here - We net 600 pounds in total, giving us 1300 pounds to play with in the market. We're also able to mitigate the scandal of yet another American heiress (no doubt wagging tongues are making jokes about if Miss Hawkins will excuse herself from the constitutional in the English garden to go enjoy some private time with Lager) by inviting the impoverished Margaret Stowell (whose Ducal relation can't be bothered to help, apparently).

So... the safe play is to buy the Gabled Conservatory. There's a Main Library and a Music Room on the Market, either one of which would fulfill an Objective if I buy it after the Conservatory. I can't buy the Conservatory and one of them - too much money. But I could buy the Conservatory and something cheaper.

The risky play is to buy the State Room and something else that's really cheap. In the Prestige category, it's worth 5 Victory Points unflipped and would make the perfect setting for the big pre-Courtship event in the final season. (Not to mention being worth 5 Reputation Points - a whole level when played).

An additional argument for the State Room: Currently we're at 2 points in the Prestige category. The Stuarts will be at 5 at the Courtship. Purchasing the State Room would put us at 7 prestige points and give us another category to win in courtship.

As I'm looking at the market, my options are clear - pick either the State Room or the Conservatory and the South Lawn, which will put us at 4 Sporting points, ahead of the Stuarts at the third courtship, and automatically tied during the final courtship.

Moneywise:
Conservatory + South Lawn = 900 pounds. 400 pounds left over.
State Room + South Lawn = 1200 pounds. 100 pounds left over.

I make my choice:

I couldn't resist the opportunity to hedge my courtship bets. Those 7 points puts us ahead in the Prestige category for the rest of the game. Now the only way I lose the third courtship is if the Fairchilds are especially interested in Service (Note: I made a mistake in the story in Season 1. It was the Largest Wine Cellar that Charles Fairchild went to see on the Stuarts' estate, not the marble floor).

And most importantly, I have a space to host the game's potential biggest event in the final season - a space that will move me up a whole entire Reputation level by itself (formal affairs in a state room do tend to rather boost one's acclaim). That could be a differencemaker in end-game scoring.

Now I have to wait for the AI roll...

...Whew. It did not eat the Gabled Conservatory tiles!!!!

Round 4 - Season 3
When Miss Norris copulated with Bricklebutter, a white hot rage surged through Viscountess Beatrice. Now, however, the matriarch of the York family was filled with an icy fury.

1300 pounds - more than the family had seen in years all at once - and George ignored her repeated entreaties for a conservatory. "No, no, it will be far more impressive if we have a state room," he said.

But that wasn't enough. To build his monstrosity, he ordered the dismantling of the vast library that had long been a hallmark of the estate. All those beautiful books now lay dusty and forgotten in storage.

So different from their early courtship and marriage. George used to read poetry aloud to her. They spent many a companionable evening in silence there, each reading their chosen book.

But that all changed over this past year. First it was, "People do not read very much anymore. Best to give our literary dreams." That she had accepted without comment.

Then he started reading less often at night with her. Too obsessed with what would impress the Fairchilds, who appeared not to care for reading - or writing of any kind for that matter. No, they liked being waited on and having a pretty estate, filled with attractive things.

There's more to life than the damned Fairchilds, she'd wanted to tell him. But he wouldn't hear of it.

And so, one morning over breakfast, after weeks of the silent treatment, she spoke to her husband.

"You will get me my conservatory, George, or as God is my witness, I will never touch you again."

The viscount, fearing for the loss of all physical pleasures, became frantic. He organized yet another bowling tournament, collected a special tax from the tenants, and invited Miss Katherine Eden to participate if she paid 100 pounds entry fee. She did.

And so the Yorks were finally able to get the conservatory Viscountess Beatrice long sought, just as her patience at long last brought her a flower room.

But George had a victory in his own right. That season, the Fairchilds expressed interest in the most luxurious interior accommodations possible, and though the Stuarts had installed their own new plush comforts, it was the elegance of the new state room that swayed Elizabeth Fairchild to request an invitation to visit.

Game Mechanics
Whew! The gamble paid off! It was scary for a moment there, and there's still the question of money before the AI eats the Objective tiles, but we steal another courtship as a result of my gamble and are set up to complete at least one more fat VP Objective.

I chose Elizabeth to get a prestige guest draw, in case the 1 VP per 3 guests ends up netting more than 1 VP per Estate title and we can't complete the two Objectives that needed the Conservatory.

As it's shaping up, I think the game will ultimately have played out like this:

Season 1: Bad beats put us way behind
Season 2: Stabilizing
Season 3: We take the lead
Season 4: We expand our lead and post a blowout victory

We'll see, however. One more season to go.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote