View Single Post
Old 06-29-2023, 08:00 AM   #23
Izulde
Head Coach

Decided to fire this up and start again.

Since it's been literal months... base game with Wessex expansion, going against the beginning AI Blois family. I'll be playing the Yorks as per usual.

Round 1 - Season 1
Viscountess Beatrice York hosted a delightful game of whist with the Countess Beatrice Russell of Rochdale. The cheery conversation led to a massive improvement in the Yorks' reputation and connections with the Baronet Sir Kenneth Crawley and the impoverished yet well-connected Lady Allison Thatcher.

The Gabled Conservatory went off the market.

Round 2 - Season 1
Viscount George York and the family heir, Allen Waters, locked themselves in the Private Study to prepare for the upcoming Village Fair. The Viscount collected the rents, while the population of Derbyshire applauded the young heir's commitment to family duties (+1 reputation).

The Retiring Room went off the market.

This was actually a tough turn for me gameplay-wise. I almost decided to get the money for bowling instead and sacrifice the 300 pounds and reputation gain on the first village fair, and that might have been a tactical error, as I just realized flipping the Private Study takes the tile from 3 points to 0, now putting me behind the Blois in the Essentials category.

Round 3 - Season 1
Rumors spread that the Yorks were to be taken seriously in reputation, as Marianne Waters, that witty and charming heiress, was spotted having afternoon tea with the Baronet Sir Kenneth Crawley in the Main Gazebo. Unfortunately, that led to a pair of paupers and the braggart Albert Plantagenet getting themselves on the guest list.

The Croquet Lawn was purchased elsewhere.

Ouch. I keep getting hammered by paupers on the Casual Guest draw. That's going to hurt my ability to build improvements to the estate, as we have to pay for the poors.

Village Fair - Round 1
The money and reputation from being prepared for the Spring Fair proved beneficial to the Yorks, as it allowed them to loan 200 pounds to Lady Allison Thatcher, who came with Miss Alice Bingly to go bowling on the lawn. Lady Thatcher was so grateful, she introduced the Yorks to none other than Duke Richard of Longford, the richest man in all of Derbyshire. Though the family was not wealthy enough for the Duke to accept an invitation, it was a plum contact indeed.

The estate also saw its first improvement, the Yorks spending the rest of their cash reserves to install a Green Room.

That same month, the Servants Quarters went off the market, much to the family's disappointment.

Rough beat on the Quarters, but that Green Room is worth 3 Essentials VP before being flipped... which ties us in the category. Now the only Courtship loss will be in the Service category (ironic, given the Yorks' reputation there).

Courtship
I've been playing this wrong before. Only the Courtship happens during Courtship rounds. And the Fairchilds care about... Sporting! We've 2 VP, the Blois -4, so we draw a Victory Points card invite Miss Elizabeth Fairchild.

Round 1 - Season 2
With so many people on the potential guest list, the butler is sent out to hire another lady's maid and another valet.

Next up, the Objectives of the family might well shift...

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote