View Single Post
Old 06-29-2023, 07:31 PM   #24
Izulde
Head Coach

So the Objectives I draw - 1 VP for each Service tile and the Cabinet of Curiosities, don't change anything.

What does change - my realization I forgot to scavenge the market, so I do and roll a 20. Market gets refreshed and *that* changes what I'm going to do this turn.

Round 2 - Season 2 - Objectives Round
Another game of bowling occurred on the lawn, and this time, it was Sir William Hawke and Miss Elizabeth Fairchild who came to play, having a lovely conversation about India, which the handsome young Hawke has visited several times to oversee his family's investments there.

With the 200 pounds raised on an Indian investment tip and the same from tickets to attend the game (for who would not want to see the glamorous Miss Fairchild?), the family purchased a Tennis Court and saw their reputation improve.

The Breakfast Room goes off the market.

Round 3 - Season 2
The Yorks quietly opted out, staying at home and collecting the rents.

Village Fair - Round 4 - Season 2
Amidst the merriment of the fair, Miss Elizabeth Fairchild came with Albert Plantagenet for a rousing tennis match on the new court, thrilling the paying audience by beating the braggart resoundingly. The presence of two such esteemed individuals raised the family profile immensely. With the funds from ticket sales, the Yorks upgraded the guest suite to a Heritage one, finding themselves 400 pounds still in reserve after the purchase.

Market refresh *again*, this time putting three Monuments on the board. I haven't been updating, but this was a powerhouse turn - moving us to 5 Reputation and drawing us another 6 Prestige guest, which we're five clicks away from being able to host.

Courtship - Season 2
The last turn purchase puts us ahead in Essentials. We can tie in Sporting if it comes again. Elsewise, it's a loss.

And it's Prestige. Damn. 5 VP card draw for the AI, 4 VP we drew after winning the first courtship. Double damn.

Also after the courtship, it's time to discard an Objective. I go with the Cabinet of Curiosities, as I don't think that'll draw and is only worth an additional 5 VP anyway.

Round 1 - Season 3 - National Holiday
The national holiday meant that anyone could go anywhere and do anything, and the Yorks took advantage of this opportunity to invite Duke Richard of Longford and the high-maintenance Marchioness Agnes of Easton, who had a glittering reputation to play tennis. The illustrious guests graciously accepted, having heard much about the new tennis court from Elizabeth Fairchild. The game was a thrilling one, and as they toured the estates, the Duke and Marchioness were much moved by the story of the family working on rising to relevance and hearing of their plans.

So moved, in fact, that Duke Richard gifted them 600 pounds, and the Marchioness arranged for the Yorks to receive special building permits allowing them to expand much more rapidly.

Delighted, the family turned part of the estate into an impressive Garden Maze, restored the West Saloon, and built a Brushing Room all in one go.

The Largest Wine Cellar was purchased by someone else.

So mechanics-wise, what happened was one of the VP cards I drew off our two guests allowed me to discard it to get a Builders' Holiday, allowing me to purchase an unlimited number of improvement tiles, rather than the one per turn limit.

Round 2 - Season 3
It was with great anticipation that the entire family pitched in and attended the formal party in the newly renovated West Saloon. Besides these four, the other three esteemed guests were Sir William Hawke, Baronet Sir Kenneth Crawley, and Regina Washburn, that striking beauty famed for her art as the daughter of the Viscount Hampton.

The reputation of the Yorks were enhanced even further. The needy Miss Margaret Stowell was struck from the guest list, but unfortunately, it came out Marianne Waters had become besotted with that rakish scoundrel, James Hereford.

Still, with the money earned from the gathering, the Yorks were able build an English Garden in and around the Maze.

The last prestigious monument, the Manor Gargoyles, were bought up.

Tough turn. Ditched the -2 VP guest in Stowell only to land another one in Hereford. And I was hoping to build up enough cash to get a second monument. Still, we're in good enough shape now that we'll win the Essentials courtship the rest of the game if we don't flip the Green Room and can continue to cut into the Blois' massive Estates advantage. Currently it stands at 11-17 heading into the third courtship, and we have ways of pushing that score even more. We're also now at 6.2 Reputation, able to invite our most esteemed guests if we refresh.

Round 3 - Season 3 - Builders' Holiday
The wealthy Scotsman Thomas MacMillian, Esquire, came to visit family members in Derbyshire and stayed overnight with the Yorks after a particularly rousing party, when he was too embarrassed to go home drunk. He was given the Heritage guest suite and said at breakfast the morning he'd never slept better, and paid 400 pounds for their discretion and hospitality.

With those funds, another guest room was refurbished into the Queen's Suite, to receive prestigious guests. It seemed only right that an overnight stay in a luxurious room would lead to another, even more opulent room appearing.

The Billiards Room went off the market.

And I just realized I miscalculated. Even if I flip one of the Estate tiles next turn, it would leave me at 16-17 - one short. So I'm going to have revisit my plan for next turn.

Round 4 - Season 3
It was another quiet season for the Yorks, though the rent money collected from tenants was used to purchase a Barn and thereby expand the groundskeeping staff, lending reputation to any activities held on the Estate proper.

The Main Library went elsewhere.

Decided to pass on the turn to set myself up for bigger plays post-courtship.

[b]Courtship/b]
If it's Essentials or Sporting, we win. Service we're behind by 1 (4-5), Estate down by 4 (13-17), [b]Prestige is a blowout loss.

And it's Service. Damn. They draw another frigging 5 VP card. Double damn.

I discard the Wealth Objective. No way we're going to have 1200 pounds by the end of the game. We need to do everything possible to try and lock in that fourth and final courtship.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote