View Single Post
Old 06-29-2023, 09:23 PM   #25
Izulde
Head Coach

Round 1 - Season 4 - Village Fair
The Viscountess Beatrice invited Marchioness Agnes and Countess Beatrice of Rochsdale to take a constitutional around the English garden, which both happily accepted. The Marchioness remarked on how improved the grounds were from her last visit, and volunteered her assistance in exiling that scoundrel James Hereford from society. Unfortunately, this led the Countess to cheerfully remark about that notorious American heiress, Susan Norris.

It was with a sense of foreboding that the Yorks decided to construct a Fenced Paddock... and the Cabinet of Curiosities went off market, much to the family's relief proving they were correct in ridding themselves of that ambition.

If you've read this dynasty, you already know the meme/callback that's coming.

Round 2 - Season 4
George McMillian, Esq and the Viscount Alfred spent a pleasant day admiring the horses in the Fenced Paddock. Whilst there, the Scotsman remarked that it would be lovely to go pheasant hunting sometime. And so the family built a Hillside Kennels to house hunting dogs. As for Susan Norris? She was banished from the guest list before she had ever chance to set foot on the estate.

The Smoking Room went off market.

So the meme didn't happen. I realized I didn't have any female servants to attend to Miss Norris. We're now looking at, for the fourth courtship, 18-19 Estate loss, 4-5 Service Loss, an auto-loss for Prestige, and a 4-9 Sporting Loss.

Round 3 - Season 4
Duke Richard of Longford spent a couple weeks visiting the Yorks and stayed in the luxurious Queen's Suite. He was so impressed by the head housekeeper's service and the opulence of the room that he paid 1200 pounds for the privilege. "Worth every damn shilling," he said. "The York reputation for service is God's own truth."

Thanks to this largesse, a Billiards Room was installed. The family also decided to cash in their earned influence to get to know two prestigious members of society, and fortune smiled upon them when the Dowager Countess of Exeter and the Countess of Coventry were added to their circle of acquaintances.

The North Library was bought by someone else.

So, one of my original Objective cards was 1 point for each Prestige guest. I did some mental calculating and decided sacrificing 4 VP a piece for a chance at more was worth it. And was it ever - I drew two 5 VP guests and with the +1 bonus, that meant I paid 8 VP in total to get 12 - a net +4 VP gain. The Queen's Suite requires one prestige guest and doubles one of their favors, so I doubled the money favor. We're also now ahead 20-18 in the final Estate tally, and my last two turns is locked in stone. This is the turn that's going to get me the win if I land it, I think.

Round 4 - Season 4
The Billiards Room went into immediate use with a game between family heir Allen Waters, Sir William Hawke, and Baronet Sir Kenneth Crawley. The trio talked money as young Waters won a lot of money off them - especially Sir William.

Allen donated the money to the family's building of a Butler's Pantry, as the service-minded family secretly desired to continue expanding their staff with an Underbutler.

...Until I realize too late I need another turn to hire the Underbutler. It's not automatic. Damn it.

Courtship
We win Essentials and Estate, tie in Service and Sporting, lose Prestige.

And it's Estate! Great, right? Wrong. It's the final courtship, so the point totals are added up in each of the revealed categories. We're tied in Sporting and Service, [b]Essentials[/b is +1, Prestige is -14. Yeah the Fairchilds totally are marrying one of the Blois. And of course they draw another 5 VP card *and* get Charles Fairchild.

Blois Base Score: 128
VP Cards: +15
Charles Fairchild: +8
Monuments Score: +15 (decided to do the hard challenge mode)
Total Blois Score: 166

Ouch. I have to discard to four Objective cards. I discard the Underbutler obviously and the 1 VP per Service Tile. Why, even though I have the Garden? Because it's 5 VP and the Queen's

Objective 1: 1 VP each 3 Guests (No Family): 5 VP
Objective 2: 1 VP each Prestige Guest (No Family): 7 VP
Objective 3: Have an English Garden: 5 VP
Objective 4: 3 VP each Monument (Flipped tiles to Monument side count): 6 VP
Objectives VP: 23 VP

Estate Improvement Points: 46 VP
Essentials: 10
Service: 5
Estate: 20
Prestige: 2
{b]Sporting
: 9
Running VP Total: 69 VP (nice!)

Gentry Total: 23 VP
Running VP Total: 92 VP

Reputation VP:45
Here I forgot to note that I should have been increasing Reputation one click for every round after I acquired a Monument: two clicks after the Queen's Suite flipped. So that's... two clicks for the Queen's Suite (Round 4 + Courtship Round), nine clicks for the Garden Maze (4 for last season, all 5 for this season), which takes us from 8.2 all the way to so far over Max, it's dumb.
Running VP Total: 137 VP

Service VP (2 VP per servant): 16 VP
Running VP Total: 153 VP

[b]Wealth VP (1 VP per 200 pounds): 5 VP
Running VP Total: 158 VP

Courtship/VP Cards: 9 VP
Final VP Total: 167 VP

Yep... I won by one damn point. Holy shit. What a heck of a game!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote