Thread: 2020 MLB thread
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 12:29 PM   #414
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
ESPN reporting majority of Nationals players have voted against travelling to Florida to play their weekend series vs the Marlins. If this is how it is going to be just pull the plug on the season. An outbreak for one team has now effected 5 different teams.
Meh, let's just wait and see what Miguel Rojas thinks.

Also, oh hey, reportedly a CBP visiting clubhouse staff member tested positive in a previous round of testing over the weekend.

The more I see of this the more MLB is negligent. (To no one's surprise.) inquirer.com/phillies/miami-marlins-coronavirus-outbreak-phillies-mlb-season-20200727.html
Quote:
“There was testing on Friday, one positive on Saturday, testing again on Saturday, and the three additional positives on Sunday,” MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said on MLB Network. “What then happened, under the protocols, was we did contact tracing on all four positives. There were, I think, a small number of players who met the CDC guidelines. They were quarantined. We did additional testing. We did symptom checks. We did temperature checks and decided to proceed with the game on Sunday.”

The operations manual says that after a player tests positive for COVID-19, the club must conduct contact tracing to identify the individuals who had close contact with the infected individual. The Marlins flew together to Philadelphia from Atlanta, traveled by bus to a Center City hotel, traveled by bus to the ballpark, dressed in the clubhouse, and sat in the dugout.
I'm no CDC expert, but you know who should have been quarantined pending testing? EVERYONE WHO WAS ON A PLANE AND IN A CLUBHOUSE TOGETHER WITH THE INFECTED PEOPLE.

The one silver lining I'm seeing is that none of the Phillies have tested positive even though it's basically a guarantee they played a game against multiple COVID-positive players. That tracks with the science we've seen indicating being in a confined space (like say, a plane, or a clubhouse) is really bad, but being outside with extremely minimal surface contact is safe. Football & basketball definitely have more close contact, but that's still good for the risk of cross-contamination.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 07-28-2020 at 12:29 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote