View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 02:54 AM   #1
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Machineball (or: An Exercise in Futility)

This dynasty is the antithesis to Defense Wins Championships. Let's establish that right off the bat.

Of course, we've all won championships behind the elite quarterback and stud receiving corp. And Revrew is proceeding in his indomitable way that a team with a truly elite defense can win (good luck chasing that championship!).

But what would happen if someone with only a rudimentary (albeit enthusiastic) interest in the NFL and FOF07 came along and tried to complete with the big guns armed only with the will to keep pounding on the ground, yard after yard, inch after inch, with only a skant interest in a passing game, and a skeleton of a defense to boot? If we attempted to wind the clock back to a time when the game was almost exclusively fought along the ground?

This is the chronicling of such an attempt. You call it madness. I call it Machineball; for it to ever work, the offense must work exactly like a well-drilled machine.

With respect and gratitude to Revrew, whose experimentation is the inspiration for this dynasty, I have lifted and modified his house rules accordingly:

I. Game Setup
A. Equalized finances to eliminate any financial advantage in beginning
B. We will do a random player preference draft, heavily favouring running backs, offensive linemen and kickers to the detriment of all other positions.
C. Injury setting is at 150
D. Immediately cut all defensive starters rated above 40/40

II. Game play/Roster building
A. No defensive player or quarterback may be:
1. Drafted in any of the first 3 rounds
2. Obtained by trade at any time
3. Signed as an FA at any time if current OR potential rating is greater than 40
4. Resigned or renegotiated if current rating exceeds 40
5. Re-signings and re-negotiations can only take place with one year remaining on contract
B. No defensive player may change position to offense, or vice versa
C. No restrictions for the acquisition of running backs, offensive linemen, kickers or punters

III. Game planning
A. I will have complete control over offensive depth charts and game plans
B. All defensive depth charts and game plans are established simply by hitting the "recommend" feature on all screens, thus allowing AI full control over defense
C. Offensive and Special teams depth charts, activations and gameplans, however, may be fully tweaked

Now, if you'll let me indulge myself a bit for a moment...
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.

Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote