View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
What struck me is that it wasn't in an "80s" or "oldies" set, either. Nope, it was in order like Taylor Swift, Meghan Trainor, Afrika Bambaataa, Carrie Underwood, etc. Cracked me up.

This is a conversation I've had with my son more than once. I can't remember the exact song that prompted it in detail, but basically I was on campus & was shocked to hear some Journey song blaring from one of the frat houses. A couple songs later, same house was blasting Migos.

I was ... confused.

What he explained about whatever Journey song it was is that there's stuff from every decade at least back to the 60s/70s that's popular enough to not cause anyone to even blink if it's played (or if you're caught listening to it) BUT that it's on a song-by-song basis, not artist by artist or even era/genre by era/genre.

So for example (whatever it was, but I don't think it was Don't Stop Believin) cranking up Journey "Wheel In The Sky" is fine but doing the same with "Lovin Touchin' Squeezin" would get you strange looks & have friends looking for an intervention. We must have gone through a dozen or more bands and talked song-by-song examples of what would or wouldn't fly, with no real discernible rhyme or reason to it.

I wonder if maybe Planet Rock is one of those kind of things, where it's fine but a perfectly equivalent song from the same timeframe would be cause for concern/confusion.