View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 06:36 AM   #429
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I have to be that guy. No one in this case had an automatic weapon. Both the officer and the killer had semi automatic weapons. One used his one did not.

Ignorance acknowledged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
That is precisely the job the officer signed up for and in fact swore an oath to do. To protect and serve the public interest at all costs, even his own life. That is Iiterally his job description.

And people keep using the word security officer and equating it with a mall security guard. Around here resource officers are full fledge pllice officers, have gone through the academy and actually have to pass a very detailed psych profile to ensure they relate to kids, and they are paid significantly more than other officers.

Here is where I have to be that guy. We can't act like we have not had pages of discussion on this board about the officer's right to protect his own life and make it back home to his family. We have also said that no one knows what they would do until they are actually in that position. Especially at a school like Parkland because it is not the place where anyone expects this to happen. I say that because even after this shooting, I still don't think anyone expects this to happen at their school.

Despite all of this, I am probably more in agreement with you than not. I do have the expectation that an officer would put his life on the line in most cases. However, I do have some sympathy for this particular officer in this case. Last week must have been a terrible time for him to learn that he was not about that police officer life.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote