View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #29
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

We make an Offensive Coordinator change, bringing in 67 year old Kyle Shannahan to install a West Coast system. You may have noticed from our dominant running game that we've been a Smashmouth club for the entirety of this career so far. I know it seems strange to make a switch on offense, but I'm looking to take another run at putting a playbook/plan together and Shannahan can run 67 plays to our old guy's 58. We'll try to move toward more of a short passing team this year. We somewhat unintentionally have been the longest passing team in the league for a number of years.

We extend our DC, which seems like folly but he looks good on paper. We've been running a 43 Over, which a quick glance at the various staff available each offseason leads me to believe is probably a shaky play. It seems clear that the True 34 tends to have the most replacement coaching talent available, and I worry that we're a little vulnerable if our guy ever gets a head gig. Not sure what we can do there. I'll once again take a crack at thinking through some kind of system/core principles to guide us on this side of the ball. We returned to something more like randomness and rexing for most of last season. Stop me if you could tell. It's just going to take time and some attention to get a few plans built.

I think I'll start from the point that FS Shelton is going to be running around in a deep zone, and we'll play more Cover1 or Cover2 depending on the opponent's talent. My guess is we'll need to move toward more of a clear decision on whether we play more Press or Man and actually try to craft our mediocre talent in a particular direction.

As an update, it looks like we're going to have to make a few moves to clear enough cap space to sign our cap crunch guy. So yeah, up against it a bit. Good times.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote