View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #111
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
There are about 90 traffic deaths per day in the USA. In 2013, there were just under 33,000 traffic deaths for the entire year.

So far this year, there have been 379 deaths in "mass shootings" across the United States.

Yes, many of them likely by illegal guns, but many also not. So this idea that one day of traffic deaths = one decade of rampage shooting deaths is wrong.

Not to mention the over 40,000 incidents of gun violence that aren't mass shootings that occur every year... of which there is a death rate that is about 1/3 of the traffic death rate. Just over 10,000 people this year alone.

A lot of those people probably still would've died if there was a ban on guns. But how many would not? Is there a number that would warrant action?

Your idea that gun control is a slippery slope that will lead to authoritarian banning is exactly the kind of thinking that prevents anything from happening. I know that I am naive, but wouldn't trying something be better than just writing off our inability to act to the Constitution whenever this comes up?

I forgot the word schools, sorry. Assumed it from the thread title.

What does gun control mean? How are we going to get the guns out of the places where the most gun deaths occur - mostly places where some of the strictest gun control laws proposed already exist?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote