View Single Post
Old 06-01-2016, 10:45 PM   #242
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

First things first: I've noticed that I haven't always been scrolling down all the way for the research choices. This is needed when there are more than four. So there are some 'extra' reverse-engineering options that have been there for a while. Oops. Anyway ...

Research Director's Briefing: Dr. Frank Justyce

Been burning through the technology lately. Here's what is on the docket now.

** Blue Lasers(Particles, 691) -- Same 50% armor penetration as the Red Lasers just completed. Blue is apparently a better color though, as it provides almost 20% more damage. Don't ask me how. It just does. Accept it.
** Disruptors(Particles, 1296) -- High-energy bolts that disrupt molecular bonds. Disruptors specialize as an anti-shield weapon, doing double damage against them. It's worth noting that we have yet to fight any enemy that has shields, but that doesn't mean it won't happen ...
** Self-Aware Logic(Computing, 1728) -- Adds one research alternative permanently. Because more choice is always better. Isn't it? Maybe? Hrm.

That's the regulars, now time for all the reverse engineering.

** Active Countermeasures(Computing, 40/518) -- Unlocks Sentinel Point Defense, which hasn't changed in the past year.
** Fusion Power(Particles, 54/345) -- Adds 250 to energy storage(presently 3000) and unlocks Fusion Reactors. A small Fusion reactor produces 15 power, compared to 10 for our current Fission models.
** Green Crystal Capacitors(Particles, 194/864) -- Unlocks the originally named Green Shard Thrower weapon. Like lasers, these get 50% armor penetration. They do more damage, but with less accuracy and shorter range. Overall, they are rated as just about exactly as good. But they are exotic, and they look cool! So there's always that.
** Cloud Lightning Conduits(Particles, 338/1728) -- From our good friends -- err, mysterious hostile thingamajigs -- the void clouds, comes this Rare Technology, meaning it may never come up again and it should be grabbed immediately. Except, being a reverse-engineered option, it will always come up again, so it doesn't matter that it's rare. Whatever. Cloud lightning is remarkable similar to the Green Shard Thrower. Slightly less damage, double the range, which is longer even than lasers.

Dr. Frank Justyce, you are now on the clock. Again. But it'll be more of a pause this time since we are caught up(actually almost a year more than caught up, since I miscalculated). And hey, if seven options isn't enough for you, just grab Self-Aware Logic and have at least eight next time! Seriously though, pick whatever you like.

Research Director's Briefing: Dr. Coffee Warlord

Thankfully, the Engineering Dept. did more with Destroyers than take Corvettes and 'just make them bigger', as was suggested. Nonetheless, your two cents are needed once again.

** Mineral Processing(Industry, 345) -- Adds 1000 to mineral storage capacity(currently 8000). Unlocks Mineral Silo II, a pointless building which allows further increase of a limit we are likely to never approach. However, this also unlocks the Mineral Processing Plant, which is basically a Power Hub for minerals: it produces some, and also increases all mineral production on the planet by 10%.
** Deep Space Outposts(Voidcraft, 345) -- Unlocks Defense Platforms, a basic orbital static defense station.
** Advanced Spaceport(Voidcraft, 1728) -- The spaceport kick continues -- funny how the researchers seem to react to what you pick by giving you more of the same -- and these will increase mineral capacity by 2000. They also allow spaceports to upgrade to four modules each, and unlock the Destroyer Assembly Yards module which does exactly what Corvette Assembly Yards does, except for Destroyers. Shocking, I know. +25% build speed, -10% build cost for the new ships.
** Nanocomposite Materials(Industry, 158/518) -- You know what this is by now. I'm not saying it again.

Only one reverse-engineered item in the backlog here. I'm going to laugh if it stays there the whole game. But anyway, Dr. Coffee Warlord, you're on the clock again.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote