View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #392
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It's kind of weird but none of us really had that fear growing up. School shootings were really rare when we were younger and now they're just more common and deadly.

I don't know what that means but it has to be weird to be a generation growing up wondering if someone is going to choose their school to be the one to massacre people at.

I read an article the other day where it calculated that about 150.000 kids have now directly experienced a school shooting since Columbine (being in the targeted school at that time), which isn't counting parents, teachers and other staff.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-shooting.html

You can only hope that those direct experiences and the interactions with others by those kids (now many of them being adults) at least start to outweigh the insane power of "feeling" and imagination. John Oliver had a terrific takedown about one blabbering idiot coming on CNN and starting to talk about how the bad "rap industry and movie industry" are now an issue whereas when they were young they went to school with guns in their car and Sheriff Andy (Andy Griffiths Show, which, yes, as a Media Science student i have watched ) wearing a gun and still no school shooting (despite that), when in fact he not only rarely wore a gun on that show but actually explained why he didn't.

John Oliver - Parkland School Shooting - YouTube

(only a 3 minute clip, so even those not big fans of Oliver ought to be able to make it through to the punchline )
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 02-21-2018 at 08:14 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote