View Single Post
Old 10-16-2003, 09:18 AM   #2
revrew
Team Chaplain

But then, we move to...

Draft Preview
"A very well-balanced draft this year with talent at every position. However, the balance does mean that there isn't great depth at any one position. Once the top guys are gone at a position, move on to the next spot.

The defensive side of the ball, however, looks especially strong. And some of the league's traditionally weakest positions, linebacker and cornerback, are among this draft's top talents.

I forsee a lot of wishin' and hopin' and maybe even some jockeying for position among our best squads who may feel they're only a position or two away from making a move. Will they be able to draft the guy they have their eye on? If they don't, there may not be a second or third option.

Who goes number 1 will be interesting, as the value of our top quarterbacks will flirt with the spot, while other more talented players at perhaps less important spots may be more than worthy.

Another observation: The popularity of the ZFL has brought the JuCo stars out of the woodwork. They will likely provide the ZFL with a youth infusion, but I'm a little concerned that they may be a bit green to accurately assess their ability leading up to draft day."

Quarterbacks: B- "Because of the need in quarterbacks, 2 of these guys could go first round. The top man looks like he may go #1 overall, a field general who makes up for lack of deep arm strength with a quick release and accuracy. But I sure wish there was a clear-cut superstar that ran away with the #1 pick, or at least more depth."
Halfbacks: C- "A young buck leads this class, but the class as a whole isn't impressive."
Fullbacks: B+ "A couple of top talents, one of which is worthy of top 5 consideration. But two is all you get".
Wide receivers: C+ "See the fullbacks. But our top two talents here are both JuCo guys, and even through there are a slough of players, the slough stinks."
Offensive Guards: B+ "One dynamite prospect (top 5 potential) and a couple of solid prospects. Enough depth to get a good grade."
Offensive Tackles: B "No real superstars in this gang, but the deepest draft spot available. Look for all 5 OTs on the board to get drafted."
Defensive Tackles: C+"Like the OTs, this is a deep, star-less crowd. Just not quite as impressive as the OT crop."
Defensive Ends: D+ "A couple of midrounders, then squat."
Middle linebackers: A- "We haven't seen a MLB class this good or this deep in a while. Two of these guys will go in early rounds."
Outside linebackers: B+ "A couple of potential stars, but it tails off after that."
Safeties: B+ "One CFL star who will make some big waves (can a safety go top 5? Even #1?), and a few for depth."
Cornerbacks: A "The top two could easily both go top 5, and a third will ride the bench somwhere till he's ready."
Kickers: C-"A JuCo wrestler who should make some team happy, but without the depth we're used to at the kicker spot."
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote