View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #4058
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Am I out of line for thinking this is a completely unforgivable thing? Or do we have to check our 401(k) first?

All this has done is reaffirm to my wife's family that Donald J Trump is the greatest President in US history. Anyone that mentions the protests to them gets a rebuttal that essentially says that supporting these protests is supporting looting, property destruction, and loss of jobs.

My wife grew up center right (volunteering for both democrat and republican campaigns in her neighborhood) and getting away from Texas has pushed her further to the left to the point that she's now a borderline liberal. Her's told me the story of her cousin bringing a black man to Thanksgiving one year and it was the worst thing to ever happen to the family until one of her Aunt's came out as gay and got married. She has no plans of telling them she married a liberal atheist. Every day she struggles with the delicate balancing act of not alienating her family while at the same time selectively choosing when to push back a bit.

This isn't a unique situation and what she goes through is largely why I don't have a facebook account and I now only speak to 2-3 members of my own family. I'm tired of watching people be shitty to each other and then talk about the importance of family, being together, and staying in touch. It's like they believe family gives the the green light to treat each other like shit and expect immediate forgiveness or at the very least forgiveness when they need something.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote