View Single Post
Old 11-09-2016, 06:36 AM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

Edward, I'm with you in the other thread as having been terribly disappointed from a results standpoint. I am also somewhat with you in that I think this is going to be a fascinating presidency to live through. Although I am a bit more pessimistic in how it plays out than you perhaps. This is a terrible time from a world history standpoint to become isolationist from a trade standpoint, or conversely to attempt to go even more aggressively after ISIS.

And I'll re-ask the questions I asked in the General Election thread:

How does Trump actually govern? So many Republicans distanced themselves from him. Do they kiss the ring and fall in line with his policy? Who is in a Trump cabinet? Who will be making all the decisions, when Trump himself seems so clearly disinterested in much else than the attention this affords him.

And other questions:

How far does the GOP Congress actually let him go with some of these policies? Is he really getting a wall, or can he back out of it by saying "well, we couldn't get Mexico to pay for it after all"? Is he really getting a 30% tax cut? Is he really getting criminalization of abortion and jailing young potential mothers who abort? Is Obamacare coming down? How bad will race relations get... will we really get "stop-and-frisk"? Increased racial profiling? Even so far as a ban on Muslims entering the country?

All I can say now is to the Trump supporters: you're getting what you want. Let's see if it lives up to your expectations. My bet is that it won't. America may be going to some dark places in the years ahead. But then again, maybe not.

Last edited by Butter : 11-09-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote