View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 08:00 PM   #712
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Top Rankings Update

1. Mateo Kaspar(FRA, 26) -- 19,250

Lost the Olympics from his total, but still has just the one loss on the year. Winning streak is now at 80 matches with no end in sight. The USO title ties him for #2 on the all-time list with Nicholas Sullivan. I really wouldn't bet against him getting the seven more he needs to set the record. Really wouldn't.

2. Martin Zarco(ESP, 26) -- 7,320

I've said a couple of times I didn't see Zarco rising above 4th or 5th. I, uh, wasn't right there.

3. Guus Dircx(NLD, 25) -- 6,710

Not having a great year, and disappointing for him to stumble a bit.

4. Gillo Fangio(ITA, 27) -- 6,455

USO final is the latest evidence of a resurgence for him. Well done for Fangio, who's past his peak but on a nice run at the moment.

5. Ritwik Dudwadkar(SRI, 25) -- 5,790

Top Sri Lanka player again, but continues to hang around the same point total, close but not quite to the next level.

6. Prakash Mooljee(SRI, 31) -- 5,620

Still doing quite well for his age overall.

7. Hsuang-tsung Teng(NZL, 25) -- 5,145

Teng has stepped away from the pack a bit, and is trying to chase down the big boys. Looks like Mooljee is his first target.

8. Valentin Rosenberg(SWE, 25) -- 3,905

This is now the best-of-the-rest spot, and Rosenberg can be counted on to make noise on any big hardcourt event. That's good enough to separate himself.

9. Milos Schmucker(CZE, 27) -- 3,620

10. Sigmund Kronecker(DEU, 28) -- 3,500

11. Ruben Piazzola(CHI, 24) -- 3,495

Piazzola comes so close to breaking in but isn't quite there yet. Might be on the verge of finally making it though.

13. Matthew Panter(USA, 24)

Card-carrying member of the dangerous-but-not-lethal contingent.

14. Benno Duhr(AUS, 25)

16. Gregory Mackenzie(USA, 24)

17. Dick Blake(USA, 23)

The Americans truly grow them in packs.

21. Vinnie Cone(USA, 24)

22. Alexey Alenichev(RUS, 24)

24. Alexey Nikitin(UKR, 23)

Progressing slowly but surely.

25. Stuart Pargeter(USA, 23)

This guy is right behind and we'll see more of him as well.

Fully half of the Top 25(13 players) are 25 or younger. Another wall is forming here for my next intrepid youngster(Chiba) to bash his head against. At least none of them are obvious all-time greats, but that's still not going to be easy.

184. Anil Mehul(SRI, 39)

Seems clear that doubles glory has passed him by, and that he's not going to make any significant inroads on Challengers. He's too good for futures as well, so he'll hang around this point for a while I think. Doubles ranking is down to 21st, and it'll see a steady decline from here on out. It really is over for Mehul now.

124. Stanley Edleman(USA, 19)

His progress has slowed, although he just won his first challenger event in Binghamton a few weeks ago. Edleman is a Top 100 guy clearly but not ready to make his move into the big-time. Welcome to the Wall that proves frustrating for nearly all players, and impenetrable for some. That won't be the case for Stanley here, but I expect some relative stagnation now. Pargeter crushed him at the USO, his second first-round Slam defeat in as many attempts. All that may sound negative, but Edleman is the top-ranked teenager in the world. He's doing very well by any reasonable measure.

612. Sushant Chiba(SRI, 19)

Also 1773rd in doubles. Making his move up the futures ladder but a lot of work yet to be done. Soon he'll start working his way up to the larger events. Meanwhile, in two months his first amateur event will drop off the rankings. Wins more than he loses in practice events, but has to work for it fairly often. Chiba is under-ranked, but not by a large margin. He's still a futures-level player.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote