View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 08:35 AM   #107
aztarheel
High School JV

posted by yanksare

Tuscaloosa News April 2018

Sheriff’s Roundup

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Welcome back to the Roundup. Utes 70 Tide 67. That’s it folks. I’m calling it right now. Victory is gone. Not the way that you probably expect though. He will not be fired. Coach Victory will resign. Sources tell me that he is currently on a beach on the coast right now considering offers for another team. What? But he has always said, “Be patient” and “Bring it on.” He bleeds the crimson of Alabama basketball. Not so fast my friends. Here comes the information that guarantees that Victory will not be returning.

As I am sure you all remember from my last pulitizer prize like column, there is a mystery to reveal about Mr. Victory. Late last week I received a call from a woman, let's call her Pam L. from Arizona. She informed me that as well as being one of my many readers that she had some information for me on Steve Victory that would allow us to see his true loyalty was to himself and not to the Tide.

We met in Phoenix and she produced a tattered, stained napkin from her purse and placed it in front of her on the table. Her eyes welled up with tears as she slowly recounted to me a torrid love affair that began in Miami in the summer of 2003 and ended in the summer of 2011. Of course this affair was with our very own Steve Victory.

They met at popular Miami Sub’s where Pam was working the counter and a young Steve and some of his friends had gone for dinner. Steve waited for Pam to finish her shift and then they stayed up all night getting to know each other. Pam learned that night that Steve was about to begin his head coaching career with the University of Central Florida and that the new head coach was quite ambitious.

Victory has always been quite sure of himself and showed Pam one of the napkins from Miami Subs that he and his friends had been looking at all night. It spelled out his plans for the future. Happily, Pam also was in his plans as well. They spent many days and nights together as Steve’s career moved to Charleston and then to Alabama. They vacationed together regularly at the beach and in the summer of 2011 they went to the Grand Canyon. It is there that this story takes a turn for the worse. Victory was in a state of inner turmoil and was about to tear up his beloved Napkin and allow it to float to the botton of Bright Angel Trail. Pam was able to convince him to not give up on his dreams. In gratitude Victory gave the Napkin to her to symbolize that he will never give up on his goals in basketball or on his love for her.

Fast forward to a month ago. Ms. L receives a short email from Victory stating, “We’re Done.” Apparently, goals can change. It was then that Ms. L. handed me the Napkin. In Coach Victory’s handwriting it stated....

* Spend 3-4 years at UCF rebuilding their program back to respectability, hopefully winning a conference title or two.
*Jump to a mid-major and build a program there for another 3-4 years.
* Jump to a big-time conference by year 6-9 (or earlier if the right situation arises) and hopefully get them championship ready in the following 5 years or so… The dream programs – anyone in the ACC, a select few other schools like Indiana, Kentucky, Arizona or a Florida school like UF, FSU or Miami...

Where is Alabama’s name? Where is the next right situation? Steve Victory, in the name of the law, the Sheriff is making a citizens arrest. We demand a resignation. I’m sure Raleigh or Charlottesville have Miami Subs too. Until next time, I am the Sheriff and you are not.

Last edited by aztarheel : 01-22-2007 at 08:36 AM.
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote