View Single Post
Old 11-10-2020, 03:49 PM   #226
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Not hard to figure out really. Some examples:

** People who want abortion on demand with no restrictions
** People who don't just want healthcare, but want the government to run the system. Anything this side of Medicare 4 all is not radical left
** People who don't just want clean energy, but want us to drive the oil business out essentially immediately and won't consider nuclear as a transitional option.
** People who think racism is a severe enough problem in modern America that it justifies tearing down the justice & law enforcement system, not merely reforming/adjusting them
** People who believe the 70% top marginal tax rate in the 1970s was not excessive, and that we generally should use Denmark etc. as our model for economic policy.

Etc.

Look at any issue, see what the general consensus is, then find the position that's left enough that said consensus is unacceptably moderate to them. Or similarly, right enough - there's certainly a plethora of positions we could stake out as radical there as well, though that wasn't the question here. That's the 'radical wing'. I might add that there's nothing wrong with being radical. I'm radical on prisons (axe them all), I'm radical on abortion and individuality, radical on constitutional matters in general and the rule of law, and I'm borderline radical economically as well in the liberal direction. The only responsibility I think radicals have is to be straight up that they're being radical and not dress it up as mainstream.

If you're radical, just own it.

Also, if you disagree with a slight bit of anything they said, you are a nazi or a facist.

With both the extreme left or extreme right, there is no dialog.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote