View Single Post
Old 11-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #249
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic
some specific "far left" proposals are sanctuary cities, abolishing Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE), decriminalizing illegal border crossings, giving taxpayer funded health benefits to illegal aliens, Medicare for All, Green New Deal extremism (e.g. banning all fracking, relying on 100% renewables), and excessive tax rates on corporations and the upper class.

Best polls I can find on these (with the previous polling caveat):

** 2:1 or more against abolishing ICE, so that one's borderline. At least as recently as 2018 a majority of Democrats were against it.

** The Green New Deal is pretty much supported strongly by those left of center, so it's really wouldn't qualify.

** Sanctuary cities are in the middle - approximately 40% support from what I can find so a minority position but not an extreme one.

** Banning fracking has slightly more support than that, so again not extreme.

On relying 100% on renewables - I think those that support that would change their tune very quickly if we actually did that. There's a reason no industrialized country in the world has eliminated fossil fuels completely. The debate as I see it is really about how fast to move and in what ways. If we stopped using all oil, coal, natural gas etc. tomorrow the resulting economic collapse would be so massive that it's unimaginable in some ways. There would be no first-world nations, as we define them today, within months. Possibly weeks.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote