College Prospect

28 March 2015

Rochdale at Dagenham & Redbridge

GK: Morten Pedersen
D: Danny Clements, Andy Carr, Graham Somers, Craig Robertson
M: Dean Pirie, Paul Webb
AM: Alan Foster, Joe Webb
ST: Steven Jackson, Andy Sim

Dag & Red were a solid, mid-table side, who were in good form when they hosted Rochdale. Paul Sanderson had to replace three regulars--injured midfielders Sam Dawson and Jack McGrath, and Tomas Juozaitis, on international duty. It wasn't surprising, then, that this contest looked like a "trap game" for Sanderson's lads.

That it was, Dag & Red scoring two first half goals to knock Rochdale off the top of the table.

Final score: Dagenham & Redbridge 2-0 Rochdale

Alan Foster (6.0) and Steven Jackson (5.4) played their worst football of the season. Sanderson sat Jackson down at the half, and discovered later that Cliftonville boss Jason Furlong was in the stands, supposedly to watch Jackson with an eye to a possible transfer offer.

"It's a complicated situation," Sanderson said later. "As a manager, you hate to stand in the way of a man's opportunity to move up in the sport. Cliftonville is a rich club. They can afford to pay players many times what we can here at Rochdale. They're bottom of the table (in the Championship), and they're trying to improve their side.

"Look at Ronique Linton. We sold him to Cliftonville, and he's making £24,500 a week now! That's ten times more than any man in our team. It's more than I made at Everton. If Ronique, or Steven, or any of these lads, has a chance to earn a salary like that, who am I to put an obstacle in his path?

"But at the same time, I have an obligation to our club to put the best possible team on the pitch. If I sell a player like Steven Jackson, I better have a replacement who can do the job, or I'll be looking for another position."

Nobody had made an offer for Jackson yet, but Sanderson was already wondering what he'd do if a good one came along.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 01-05-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote