View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #357
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

SCAT Winter Kickoff @ GaTech - 1/18-1/19

This will be the last meet for the twins until the state meet in February. They have enough State Cuts, so the coach doesn’t want them to race the Last Change Meet 2 weeks prior to State, so their practice taper will be more effective. Brett on the other hand will swim the Last Chance, though he likely won’t earn a cut. Like the coach told him, time drops for 13 year olds is significant, and you still haven’t grown yet, so earning a cut will be very difficult.

Unlike most of our meets during the season the one this weekend is a prelim/final meet, and therefore a very important one in the eyes of the coaches. I’m sure I’ve mentioned this in the past, but the prelim/finals format prepares the kids for big meets (State, Sectionals, etc.) which require kids to qualify for the final swim later that same evening. In this meet, all prelims will be swim by age group (i.e. 11/12, 13/14), however, all event finals will be swum based on age only. In other words, there will be an 11 year old finals, 12 year old finals, 13 year old finals, etc. This means the likelihood of making finals for us goes way up. Unfortunately for us, this means we’ll be at the pool for warm ups around 6, the meet will run and finish around 1, then we are supposed to be back at the pool at 5:30. Tech is a good hour drive from the house, so we are sort of in a no-win situation when it comes to finding ways to relax and stay comfortable during that window. We’ve contemplated getting a hotel room that we can retreat to, but that will be very expensive…anyway…here is what the kids will be racing…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bailey

200 Fly – 2:44.95 – Only 8 kids in the 11/12 age group are swimming the prelim, and Bailey is the top ranked 11 year old. 2 do come in with NT and may be very fast, but looks like we’ll be in this final…

100 Back – 1:13.41 – seeded 15 overall and third for 11 year olds

500 Free – 6:21.40 – this is a timed finals (don’t have to do it twice). She should drop a decent amount of time if she swims it hard. I have a sneaky suspicion she might just mail it in to conserve energy for the finals later in the day

100 IM – 1:17.43 – seeded 21 overall and ninth for 11 year olds. However, this seed time is from March of 2013…I could easily see a 5 second drop, which would put her third (assuming everyone else swims around their seed time)

100 Fly – 1:12.63 – eighth overall and first for 11s.

50 Back – 35.20 – 15 overall and third for 11s, but again this seed time is from March of last year. I could see a time in the 33s…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bear

100 Back – 1:19.79 – Bear is the twelfth eleven year old and 21 overall

50 Fly – 38.44 – Bear hasn’t swum this since he cleaned up his fly so he should drop a good bit of time. I could see him drop 3 seconds, if he does he has a change to get in the top 10 and make finals

500 Free – 6:20.64 – Did it way back in October and really went out way to easy. Should drop around 10 seconds

100 Fly – 1:24.14 – seeded eighth for 11 year olds

200 Free – 2:22.79 – seeded third for 11 year olds and 10 overall

100 Breast – 1:28.46 – big drop last month in this one, not sure he’ll drop again, but he’s seeded 9 for 11 year olds and 16 overall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brett

200 Breast – 2:45.48 – Been dropping time in this one all season, big fly kick on pullouts and he’ll drop more time. Currently seeded third for 13 year olds

200 IM – 2:40.70 – Big drop last month in this one, not sure if we’ll drop again.

500 Free – 6:09.02 – might end up racing Bear in this one (event is 11 & over)…

200 Free – 2:20.68 – dropped in this one last time out, but I thought he was a little conservative early. I do think he can drop here again. Especially, given he’s been doing 100s in interval training at practice in 1:05s…I think a 2:18 is very reachable

100 Breast – 1:20.01 – seeded 8 for 13 year olds…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote