View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

2024 Offseason

Okay, the biggest question is – will WR Jake Stuart retire? Of does he have a 14th season in him? Answer – B. He’s back.

Past that, not much to note. We have 14 guys signed, as NT Mitch Busby is the one guy whose contract expired last year. We are open to a new deal with Busby for next year – he was solid for us, I think, and ought to re-sign fairly affordably.

We head into free agency with a lot off holes to fill, obviously – I’m thinking that my top veteran needs are linebacker (maybe two of them) and perhaps at offensive guard. My thinking is that, as usual, we can pick up a passable RB in the draft, and perhaps a project QB as well. I think we do need some depth at DB, and I’m open to going either way there, veteran or a top draft pick. I like CB Kemnitzer a lot as a future #1 cover corner, but we need at least one more guy back there with some pure coverage skills, as I don’t think Jessie Blythe has much more in him than as a supporting player. We’ll see about other void positions like TE and FB… maybe a late round draft pick can get us over the hump there.

Here are my FA targets:

Reneg – CB Paul Woods, 4yrs $20m
1YR – RB Lincoln Palermo, $1.7m
2YR – DT Mitch Busby, $4m
3YR – RG Kenny Bell, $14.4m
4YR – SLB Christian Seals, $26m (10m bonus, even salary)
5YR –
6YR – CB Louie Sawyer, $34.5m (10.5 bonus, even salary)
7YR – TE J.C. Atwell, $106m (essentially 3yr, $6.7m)

RB Palermo is a 9th year guy with over 10,000 yards rushing under his belt already, but he’s a mentor and has pretty good skills for our system, so I think this makes sense, even if he slides 5 or more points in camp. I put in to re-sign DT Busby, but I don’t want to commit longer term there. G Kenny Bell is an 8th year guy, and should really shore up the right side of our line.

LB Seals looks perfect for the strong side, and as a 5th year guy I’m fine paying up for him. CB Sawyer is a coverage stud, and I hope he becomes a fixture for us, even though this is pretty big money. The deal with TE Atwell is basically to get three decent years from a productive veteran in his declining years.

I leave the 5-yr slot open… and may use it after the draft if we still have a gaping hole somewhere. But for now, I know all these are need areas, and will be glad to land a bunch of immediate contributors.

Alas – I miss on LB Seals, as he immediately re-signs with the Rams. My backup plan is another pretty good fit at LB in Mack Quinn, who takes our offer for $23m, but without much bonus. My plan will now be to slot Quinn inside where he is best suited, and maybe move Gilbert Wilkerson outside. Anyway, we land our six revised targets, and shore things up in several slots.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote