View Single Post
Old 09-01-2020, 01:11 PM   #630
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
The way I view this is that I am outraged, pretty much all the time, at the current state of the country and the level of resistance to what I personally view as basic decency. So I do at a basic level agree with that saying.

However, everyone has a different capacity and ability to engage with that outrage in terms of staying informed and taking action to try to make the world a better place. So while I am outraged, and I do view my role in society as one to take advantage of how good I have it to try to do more for those who have less... sometimes there are just days or even weeks where I don't have it in me. I'd fall apart if I continued to engage with what's going on in the world.

Ideally I'd find a level of engagement where I can keep up with the world and find my ways to do good - whatever that means for me - at a steady, consistent level without cracking, but I haven't found it yet.

To me: "If you aren't outraged, then you aren't paying attention." - is moreso aimed at folks who have the capacity to make the world a better place but selfishly choose to ignore that and stay in their own bubble because they aren't personally impacted.

I can absolutely admit to some hypocrisy here. When it comes to creators (for me, that means on Twitch typically) that I support financially, anyone who is not using their platform to say something about current issues likely loses my support. I believe that's irresponsible. However, I also recognize the value of being able to lose yourself in ... anything else, as Jon put it, to escape when needed to keep the necessary balance.

How many do you support? I'm interested because I mostly feel the opposite. I don't want to listen to a lot of political commentary when I am watching someone on Twitch. Most of the people that I watch rarely talk about politics. Those that do aren't talking about more than a passing comment here or there.