View Single Post
Old 09-13-2020, 08:40 PM   #637
Radii
Head Coach

Since you mentioned remembering your house sort of being like that growing up, its probably not something that's going to just get fixed now with just her trying to clean or keep up with it after you help, no matter what you try. Some suggestions:

1) Helping to clean some when you're over there is huge, anything you can do to make any progress in a moment is likely appreciated.
2) Once the house is cleaned to the best of you guys' ability/willingness (on her part), would it be possible for her to hire a service once a week to come clean, just to prevent it from getting out of control again?
3) Does she see a psychologist? Would she be open to it if not?

Cleanliness/Organization/Self Care is a big problem of mine, I actually just got diagnosed with ADHD this year at age 43, and a lot of my issues with keeping things clean are classic symptoms of ADHD that I wasn't aware of. Not suggesting that's your mom's issue, but that I never would have gotten that diagnoses and proper medication for it without working with my psychologist like I've been doing for years now.

As someone who has a lifelong struggle with keeping my space clean in general, accepting that this probably won't get much better on her own and coming up with a longer term plan other than just getting things cleaned up this once is likely critical.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote