View Single Post
Old 08-31-2018, 04:50 PM   #356
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

We're finally here. It's about to start for real.

Today I resigned from my day job so can start making games full time! It's a little scary, but also pretty exciting. I've been thinking about doing it for a while, but it was the weirdest thing that finally made me take the leap. I did the math.

Let me explain. 2 years ago I decided to learn C# and Unity. I kicked off "The Regen3 Project" to have something to work on as I taught myself. Over the 2 years, that slowly turned into Desktop Dynasties, which is now looking pretty good. I started figuring out how long it would take for me to release the early-alpha, then the early access, then the final release. Working my current 3-5 hours a week made the timeline stretch out a lot farther than I wanted. Then, I started thinking about how much I've put into the game so far. I started adding up all the time, and I compared it to a nearly full-time job. Without pro-rating the time for my learning curve over the first 6 months, and assuming a 30 hour work week, I ended up with 3.5 months.

Yes, I've only been working on this game for 3.5 months, which includes learning C# and Unity.

That was a little depressing. In 2 years, I only got 3.5 months of work done. However, on the other hand..... now that I'm getting kind of good at this, what could I accomplish in a year of full-time development?

The possibilities are exciting! I really think there's a good chance that I could complete 2 more games in a year. That would mean I'd have 3 complete games by this time next year! At a minimum, I bet that would buy me another year of development. I think I can pull this off.

So here we go! It's opening kickoff on my real game development career!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kickoff.jpg (112.6 KB, 53 views)