View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #75
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I am in SUCH a stupid discussion/argument on Facebook.

Somebody tell me if I'm off here. Looking at the math state by state, results of Obama/McCain vs Obama/Romney, given how the vote totals broke & how the electoral math went, there is pretty much NO way that any "Christians stayed at home and wouldn't vote for Romney" effect could have come close to changing the outcome ... right?

Closest I could come was 8 states where Romney < McCain vote totals.
Of those 8, none would have changed hands if McCain's totals held up, only one (Ohio) would have changed if Romney managed to poll "McCain + 10%".
And Ohio's 18 electorals don't change the outcome of the whole.

Whatever I think of Romney as a candidate, I see no reason to believe that "Christians staying away" (which was the FB post contention) was a major factor in the outcome.

Somebody got a different take?

edit to add: Hopefully no one objects to a 2008/2012 question in the 2016 thread. In my mind, if I'm totally off-base in my figuring, then it could have relevance on a 2016 nominee so I allowed myself to pose this sidebar here.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-06-2014 at 06:02 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote