View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
Tasan
College Starter

Season Ten (2017)

Well this ragtag bunch of losers will be around at least one more season, although we have our first retirements. They kind of hurt, because two players from one position left. TE Gibson, formerly a FB and our current Receivers leader, retires. He never really played much, but was a leader in both the backfield and receivers and never complained about playing time (or lack thereof). TE Matos also retires. He was the reason Gibson switched to TE, when Matos went down with a season long injury and we had another OUT at TE. Matos was also a Red Flag, but we NEVER had issues in the receivers with complaining, so I'm not really sure how much those really matter. Finally, OLB Eric Haslett retired as well. He was a started from day one, switching from MLB to OLB, and having several solid seasons. He will be missed, because he was basically all we had left in the LB corps.

Our DC needs a contract. Fingers firmly crossed yet again. YIKES, our owner only will allow a contract that would be about a 50% decrease in salary for him. Time to find a young guy to take over I guess. I find an old guy (Everett Bush) who doesn't want much for what will probably only be one season at his age. He accepts the max we can offer. Okay, I thought his named looked familiar. He was our DC 2009-2011. I guess he's a glutton for punishment.

We had the worst record in the NFC (again), so our picks go to the second worst, Minnesota. We kill the upper deck ticket prices to $10, so at least maybe we'll have a drunken crowd up top.

Peeking at the draft, I really wish I had some picks in it, its the strongest offense draft I've ever seen, with 2 QBs 8+, 2 RBs 7.5+, and a WR at 7.4. And it really doesn't drop off for a while, either. And those 5 guys all really have bars to back up the ratings, and combines to back up the bars. I mean, its red and blue all over the first page.

We have 35 of a possible 49 players signed right now. All should come back with no problems.

Maybe stretching the rules some, but I offer a contract to CB Buchannon who I had to cut in the punter incident last year. He's only a 10/10 guys at this point anyway, so he's just roster filler.

50 guys are on the team when the draft rolls around.

SS Lee Kinney decides to hold out at the start of late FA. I give him what he wants for 2 reasons:
1. He's the #2 tackler all time for the league.
2. He's asking for a PAY CUT, with a cheap extension.
There you guy sir, less money this season and next, plus a 3rd at cheaper than what his one was going to cost. No problem.

On a note of stupidity, I could have just IR'ed my long term hurt WR Slusarczyk instead of cutting someone last season. Yet another justification to resign Buchannon. At least in my crazy mind.

We sold over 20k tickets this year, mainly I think because of our $10 upper deck. At least it won't be a complete ghost town when we play.

Reeves continues his ratings slide, but it didn't seem to hurt him last year at all. He's now a 60/60 with pretty good bars left. Clemons continues declining, now under 70 at 69/69. We no longer have any 70+ players. In contrast, we have 8 under 10/10. Wheeeeee this should be fun.