View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 08:52 AM   #26
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
To be honest I think with all games its impossible to say someone is 'wrong' for not liking something.

I think with a lot of sims, some people have trouble* evolving with them as they gain in complexity and hark for the days when the games were simpler to pick up and play.

I've seen this with FM, EHM and OOTP to a greater or lesser degree. To partially 'get around' this with FM we developed Football Manager Handheld which is a throwback in some ways to the days of simpler games like CM01-02 and its been pretty well recieved and gained a niche following in its own right which is cool (not least because it lets me have fun helping with making it ).

Its possible that for someone like Markus it might be worthwhile similarly having an OOTP-Lite version of the game which is somewhat simpler to understand, setup and play ... that way people can choose which one they'd prefer (or ideally for Markus buy both ).

*By this I don't mean that people "can't" understand or play them - simply that they either don't have the time or inclination to immerse themselves to the extent required to play the game. Simply put in my earlier management sims like CM3 you could blast through seasons much much faster and without paying as much attention as is required by FM these days.

I think this would be especially pertinent to those of us that prefers to play historical leagues. It doesn't make sense to be a GM/coach in the 1950s as if you have all of the sabermetric resources of the 2000s. That doesn't mean it has to be "lite", for a different interface hides more stuff and forces you to be competitive based on the information you do have. A game can have a simpler interface yet be incredibly deep, like what they did for Civ4.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote