View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 04:34 AM   #567
Radii
Head Coach

-- Stuart Kirkland is named to the Championship team of the week.

September Update

-- We play on the 2nd, 16th, 19th, 23rd, 26th, and 30th. There are world cup qualifying matches on the 9th and 13th and U21 and U19 matches around there as well, I'm assuming that explains the 2 week break in the action.

-- Bryan Bennett scores a goal and gets two assists in his first 4 matches, and that's enough to earn him the young player of the month award on the Championship!

-- the board is satisfied with my coaching so far. Our 1st round League Cup exit is horrible, but the board is pleased that the fans seem to love Bryan Bennett. We lost $2.5M last month.

September 2nd, 2017

Bolton(2-1-1, 8th) @ Ipswich(1-2-1, 14th)

We're even money favorites against Bolton today at Portman Road. We have a long history with Bolton, 4-2-5 lifetime against them.

GK: Murphy
D: Kirkland/Brown/Bruce/Berthet
DMC: Paulo
MC: Donnelly/Bennett
AMC: Gordon
ST: Khan/Constantino

Troy Brown starts at DC today, Kirkland gets another start at DL since he played so well last match. Donnelly is back from his injury and Constantino lines up at forward with Khan.

We're attacking at home today.

5': We get the first attacking highlight but Bolton take the first shot, a header that's wide.

9': Donnelly has it in midfield, he gets it to Constantino who sprints out wide. He draws a central defender out with him... not sure why, poor defense there. Constantino finds Bennett who puts it into the open area for Gordon. Gordon beats the keeper for the goal!! 1-0

14': we build up a little, its passed out left to Kirkland near midfield. Kirkland plays it to Gordon who is about 25 yards from goal. He takes a step forward, sees an opening and shoots, its a blast that bends away from the keeper a little and is in the right side of the net!! Two goals from Neil Gordon in 5 minutes!! 2-0

20': I change to a defensive mindset. We've given up too many goals shortly after scoring.

44': A good stretch with no action... there's a foul on Bolton, Berthet shoots on the free kick from 35 yards out, its off the wall and behind for a corner. Donnelly takes it but they clear.

HALF: What a half! Neil Gordon has seriously struggled so far, its bugged me because I want to see him turn into a star and he looks like he could be amazing for us. Seeing him get those two goals was huge. We shoot 6 times, Bolton shoots 3 times. They actually have a 59/41 possession edge but just can't turn it into anything.

47': Constantino gets open about 18 yards out and takes his first shot (at least the first I've seen) but he blasts it over.

49': They play a cross to the far post and have a man there.. Murphy has to punch the ball behind for a corner, we clear it out nicely though.

55': Its all about the Bolton attack now, we've given up multiple corners now, they just had a header go inches over. We need to remove this pressure.

64': We give up another corner. Its cleared again.

65': Coutts is in for Donnelly who is a bit tired in his first match back from injury.

70': They keep pressing, and they should have gotten one back here, the ball is headed around the area a couple times with us unable to clear, finally there's a deflection to an attacker who is wide open about 8 yards away, he volleys it... wide.

77': Coutts picks up an injury and he's forced to come out immediately. Walker is in. I go ahead and make my last sub as well. Gudmundsson is in for Gordon, defense for offense, 5-1-2-2.

We finish this one off easily.

Ipswich 2 : 0 Bolton

Man of the Match: Neil Gordon (8.8)
Goals: Gordon 2
Assists: Kirkland (8.0), Bennett (8.0)
Notables: Berthet (7.3), Bruce (7.0)

Constantino put up a 6.5 in his first match, he shot twice, both off target and missed a bunch of headers. Gordon was just spectacular in getting those two goals. Stuart Kirkland's 8.0 is very noteworthy as well, he's making a serious case to win that DL job from our icelandic loaner (who since he can play all three defensive positions will not lack for playing time).
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote