View Single Post
Old 05-31-2008, 07:58 PM   #55
Izulde
Head Coach

February commences with a doubleheader against Sioux Falls. We shockingly lose the first game 95-83 as everyone takes the night off on both ends of the floor, but we rout them 105-87 in the second game after Steven Wilkerson double-doubles with 18 points and 11 rebounds, Daequan Cook scores 21 and three bench players score double-digits, led by DaShaun Wood with 17.

A long break ensues before our next doubleheader and I'm worried about rust, but we nip Bakersfield 90-84 as Nick Fazekas has his best all-around game in my tenure with 15 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 blocks and 3 steals and down Dakota 83-62 the next night behind Kueth Flippen's 20 points and 9 rebounds and 19 points and 7 rebounds from benchman Brandon Hunter.

We keep our perfect record against Tulsa the next game, destroying the Tejanos 98-82 despite the fact that Ronny Smith is rehabbing in the D-League. Carlos Arroyo secures the victory with a sizzling shooting showing good for 22 points.

During the All-Star break, we hammer the Timberjacks 99-64 as 6 Cats break double-digit scoring, all five starters, including Nick Fazekas with 10 points and 10 rebounds and 13 bench points from Brandon Hunter.

Much to my annoyance, I can't find the Rookies-Sophomores game box score, which means the same will likely hold true for the All-Star game.

Even more aggravating, we lose 89-86 to the Timberjacks to give us loss number 6 on the year and then proceed to have our first losing streak as we drop a game 83-80 to Bakersfield as our bench has been playing for absolute crap.

I cut Jack Sankes and sign 30 year old PG Milt Palacio, who takes over as the starting PG. It doesn't do any good though, as we lose our third game in a row, 80-72, to the Arkansas Rattlers. This despite five players in double-digit scoring and a double-double of 16 points and 12 rebounds from Nick Fazekas.

Despite the tailspin, we're still 5 games in front of the West Conference. Kueth Flippen is 7th in the D-League with a 13.2 ppg average. Carlos Arroyo still leads in apg, but just barely, as he's only averaging 6.1 apg now that he's lost his starting job to Palacio while he deals with back problems. Steven Wilkerson is down to 3rd in boards per game with 10.1 and is tied with Kris Lang of Tulsa for double-doubles with 11.

In the NBA, the Knicks are 21-36 and need just two more victories to beat last year's total. Heh. Still only 5 winning teams in the East and once again, it's all the Central Division teams. Toronto's still atop the Atlantic with a .500 record, while the defending East Conference champion Bobcats head up the South at 23-30.

Still 9 winning teams in the West, too and once again, the Pacific division has all winning teams, with the Clippers in the cellar at 32-25. Phoenix continues to burn the rest of the NBA with a sizzling 50-7 record.

Gilbert Arenas has yet to relinquish his scoring lead at 32.6 points per game, although Michael Redd is averaging 30.1 points, Kobe Bryant and Allen Iverson not far behind at 29.9 and 29.3 respectively.

Brandon Brooks has broken through double-digit scoring at 10.2 ppg, but he's the only one there and he still has a sizeable lead in the rookie assists category with 6.6. Tough call right now whether Brandon Brooks or Kelvin Moody is the best rookie. Ronny Smith is charging hard too, now that he's recovered from his broken hand. Derrick Robinson and Julius Austin are definite darkhorses.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote