View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 03:19 AM   #479
Radii
Head Coach

New Short Term Loanee

One of the guys I really coveted before the season started but that went elsewhere on loan it turns out only went on a 6 month loan. I get a notice that he's returned to the Liverpool reserve squad and instantly make him an offer to come to Woking for 3 months.

Welcome 19 y/o MC Sam Cook to Woking. It's a busy 3 months, we play ~15 matches so he'll have a chance to make a big impact. i didn't have full scouting on Cook when I offered him, but I could see three ratings that made me not really care: Pace 18, Passing 16, Dribbling 11. Good enough that I'll take my chances on everything I couldn't see right there. 14 accel/15 agility/17 balance. 14 creativity/15 teamwork. 10 crossing/11 marking/10 tackling. Cook was on loan at Fulham in the Championship, he only got in 4 matches, scoring once.

So now the big question. What do I do with him? Play him all the time and rotate Paulo and Upson? Switch to a 3-5-2? Paulo can play DMC and I could just run one striker and have Harsanyi and Colin split time at AML.

For now I decide to start Paulo and Cook in my next match and will go from there. I don't feel strongly that this is the best solution, but i don't like the downsides of any of the other options.

January 14th, 2017

Swindon (10-7-10, 13th) @ Woking (13-9-4, 2nd)

Swindon are favored 4:6 today at Kingfield Stadium. We're not very happy to see that. We've played 4 times, never beating them. 3 of them are in cup matches though. We've already played twice this year, tying 2:2 on the road i league play, and tying 1:1 in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy 2nd round 1:1 but losing on penalties.

GK: Lynch
D: Nikolaou/Taylor/Smith/Ogogo
MC: Paulo/Cook
AM: Colin/N'Guessan
FC: Harsanyi/Constantino

Christian Smith takes the job from James Chester. Sam Cook starts with Paulo. Upson sits today. They have two guys in double digits in goals, Charlie Austin with 16, Chris Porter with 12. We attack at home.

17': They get a corner 30 seconds in but put a shot way over. For the next 15 minutes the highlights are all Woking. We earn 2 corners and manage 4 shots, a couple on target but pretty weak.

20': Cook receives a pass 20 yards out and fires a shot in, its saved and turned back by the keeper, a nice effort, but corner comes to nothing.

25': They play a bad pass in the midfield after setting up an attack, N'Guessan gets to it and triggers a bit of a break, Harsanyi has it at midfield, runs forward a bit, fires a pass ahead to Constantino, he shows great control to beat his man, he's forward to the edge of the penalty box, its a clear cut chance, its by the keeper... but off the right post... noooo!

34': We win a ball in the defensive end, there's a ball to constantino, Constantino dribbles between FIVE, count them, FIVE defenders and midfielders into the right side of the area, he gets the ball to the end line, plays a short lofting cross to the other end of the 6 yard box, Colin is there and he heads it by the keeper and in!! 1-0

38': Cook has it 25 yards out, making a run into the area, its tackled wide, Nikolaou is there and crosses it into the area, N'Guessan win the header and directs it by the keeper and in! 2-0

45': N'Guessan makes a nice run down the left to start up the offense, he passes to Cook, pass over to Paulo, Paulo plays it into the area where constantino has broken free, its a clear cut chance and how the hell do you leave Constantino that open, like he didn't break behind a defender trying to cover, he's just left alone... he isn't missing a second clear cut chance, this one is good! 3-0

HALF: Great, great half for Woking. We control a ridiculous 65% of the possession, shoot 12 times, putting 7 on target, only allowing 2 shots. One was on target but it was from 30 yards away.

60': Christian Smith is hurt and the game stops for us to sub him out. Oooof. Chester is in.

We get a few nice looking shots in the 2nd half, none go in, but its ok, we only allow 2 second half shots. Looking good guys!

Woking 3 : 0 Swindon

Man of the Match: Stelios Nikolaou (9.0)
Goals: Constantino (8.6), Constantino (8.5), Colin (8.0)
Assists: Nikolaou, Paulo (8.2), Constantino
Notables: Ogogo (7.8), Taylor (7.5), Cook (7.0)

I noticed Cook mostly in the first 25 minutes, we'd feed a ball into the area, they'd try to head it away, and Cook's speed would get him to the ball first to keep it alive and send it back in. He completed 38 of 44 passes but no key ones, 2 shots on target. An ok debut.

Injury Update

Christian Smith suffers a torn hamstring and is going to be out for 3 months. Marc is still out for a couple weeks I believe. Not fun!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote