sabotai
General Manager

The Public Enemy (1931)

Directed By: William A. Wellman
Starring: James Cagney, Jean Harlow, Edward Woods, Joan Blondell
Length: 83 min.
Genre: Crime Drama

1931 Best Writing, Original Story Nominee

Cagney's 4th film and first starring role. He was originally going to play a supporting role, while Edward Woods was cast as Tom Powers, the main character. The director thought Cagney fit the role better, so he switched them. And for over 80 years since, people have been doing their best Cagney impression while saying lines that end in ", see?"

This movie reminded me a lot of Goodfellas. Not in story or characters, but more in narrative style. It starts off showing how Tom Powers (James Cagney) started getting into organized crime as a child, teenager and then adult. It didn't glamorize gangsters. It was a pretty gritty, violent movie for the 1930s. At this point, the Hays Code had been written and published, but wasn't being enforced. That happens in a few years (1934).

The movie also shows how prohibition was a windfall for organized crime. The characters went from barely surviving to being flush with money. But with more money also came more violence.

I really liked this movie. But I also have an affinity for gangster movies. After all, The Godfather Part 1, The Godfather Part 2 and Goodfellas would easily make my Top 10 movies ever list. I'm never not in the mood for a good gangster flick.

My Rating: 8/10

IMDB User Rating: 7.7/10 (15k votes)
Rotten Tomatoes: 100% (28), 84% of Audience (3.9 / 5 ; 7k votes)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote