View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 05:40 PM   #249
sabotai
General Manager

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932)

Directed By: Mervyn LeRoy
Written By: Howard J. Green, Brown Holmes
Starring: Paul Muni, Glenda Farrell, Helen Vinson, Noel Francis
Length: 93 min.
Genre: Crime / Prison Drama
Based On: The Autobiography "I Am a Fugitive from a Georgia Chain Gang" by Robert Elliot Burns

6th Academy Awards
Nominees for Best Picture, Best Actor (Paul Muni), and Best Sound, Recording

1932 National Board of Review
Winner: Best Film

(The 6th Academy Awards were given to films released from August 1st, 1932 to December 31, 1933, a 17 month period. After this, the Academy Wards would be given based on calendar year, Jan 1st to Dec 31)

At the end of World War 1 (still just called 'The World War' for obvious reasons) James Allen (Paul Muni) returns home, but his family and old boss are set on him picking up where he left off at his old job. The war changed James. He worked with the Corp of Engineers in the army and wanted to stuff like build bridges. He reluctantly takes up his old job, though, and almost immediately starts getting into trouble being late.

He leaves that job to go chase his dreams. But work is hard to come by and he ends up traveling the country in search of a steady job. He even tries to sell his war medals, but the pawn shop has a box full of them. He eventually gets into trouble with the law when he is forced to take part in a robbery. He runs when the cops show up but is quickly caught. The judge is merciless. He ran. He had the money in his pocket. Off to hard labor for 10 years.

I thought the movie was great. One part The Fugitive, one part Shawshank, meaning, half of the film is in prison, half is after his first escape. He escapes for several years, but someone turns him in and he voluntarily goes back when he's assured that he'll only need to serve 3 months and then receive a pardon. Surprise, the state goes back on its word and over a year later, Allen escapes a second time. This time, he stays in the shadows, only visiting the woman he loved once, telling her that he has to live the rest of his life on the run.

Muni was great, even better than in Scarface. The supporting cast (most of them) were great. Good action on the escape scenes. Overall, a great fugitive/prison movie.

My Rating: 8/10
IMDB User Rating: 8.1/10 (10k votes)
Rotten Tomatoes: 100% of Critics (21-0), 91% of Audience (4.1 / 5 ; 3k votes)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote