View Single Post
Old 02-28-2023, 08:16 AM   #153
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The first big news will be Derek Carr hitting pre-Free Agency in a few days. His brilliant agent structured his extension so that Carr got a no-trade clause AND the Raiders had to decide to pay him a huge bonus right after the Super Bowl.

That meant that he'd actually get the value of his contract or he'd get a month to himself in free agency before the other QBs hit the market.

And all signs are that they are going to cut him.

As a fan of a QB-needy team, I hope the Saints grab him. But, much like we were with Kirk Cousins, I think that we will all be shocked by what he gets.

He's a top 15-ish or so QB. And those guys rarely hit pure free agency. Even those big 40 and 50 million dollar per year extensions for guys are in places where the team still has some leverage over the player.

All he will need is two teams to get in a bidding war, and he will make "Wait, Derek Carr got how much?" money.

It looks like I might have been wrong about this. Carr is going to Indy to meet with teams. He wouldn't be doing that if he were weighing which $40 million/yr offer to take.

His market is softer than I expected.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote